Friday, September 20, 2019

Little One Eye, Little Two Eyes, and Little Three Eyes

Dear Friends,
I hope this post finds you all well. I'm doing good.
A few months ago my computer died. So I am still trying to get use to this new one.
I still have all of the things I've shared with you in the past.
Right now I'm working on scanning new things to the computer to share with you.
Here is the first thing I've managed to scan.

This is a story from the Antigo Daily Journal. Monday, June 29, 1970.
That was my birthday!
It looks a little out of focus but it's the paper.

Anyway, here is the first part of the story I promised.

Little One Eye, Little Two Eyes, and
Little Three eyes.
           I.
    The Goat.

There was a woman who had three
daughters. The eldest was called Little One
Eye, because she only had one eye in the middle
of her forehead. The second was called Little
Two Eyes, because she had two eyes like other
people. The youngest was called Little Three
Eyes, because she had three eyes; the third eye
was in the middle of her forehead.
  Because Little Two Eyes look like other
people her sisters and her mother could not bear
her. They said:-
 "You have two eyes and are no better than
anybody else. You do not belong to us." They
knocked her about, and gave her shabby clothes,
and fed her with food left over from their meals;
in short, they vexed her whenever they could.

One day Little Two Eyes was sent into the
fields to look after the goat. She was quite
hungry, because her sisters had given her so
little to eat, and she sat down and began to
cry. She cried so hard that a little stream of
tears ran out of each eye. All at once a wise
woman stood near her, and asked:-
 "Little Two Eyes, why do you cry?" Little
Two Eyes said:-
 "Have I not need to cry? Because I have
two eyes, like other people, my sisters and my
mother cannot bear me. They knock me about;
they give me shabby clothes; and they feed
me only with the food left over from their
table. To-day they have given me so little
that I am quite hungry." The wise woman
said:-
 "Little Two Eyes, dry your eyes, and I will
tell you what to do. Only say to your goat:
'Little goat, bleat; little table rise,' and a
neatly-laid table will stand before you, covered
with food. Eat as much as you like. When
you have had all you want, only say: 'Little
goat, bleat; little table away,' and it will
be gone." Then the wise woman disappeared.
Little Two Eyes thought:-
 "I must try at once, for I am much too
hungry to wait." So she said:-
"Little goat, bleat; little table , rise." In a

twinkling there stood before her a little table
covered with a white cloth. On it were laid
a plate, knife and fork, and silver spoon.
The nicest food was on a plate, smoking hot.
Then little Two Eyes began to eat, and found
the food very good. When she had had enough,
she said:-
 "Little goat, bleat; little table away." In
an instant the table was gone.
 "That is a fine way to keep house," thought
Little Two eyes, she was quite merry.
 At the end of the day Little Two Eyes drove
her goat home. She found a dish with some
food in it; her sisters had put it aside for her
from their table, but she did not taste it. She
did not need it.
 The next day she went out again with her
goat, and did not take the few crusts which
her sisters put aside for her. This went on
for several days. At last her sisters said to
each other:-
 "All is not right with Little Two Eyes. She
always leaves her food; she used to eat all
that was given her; she must have found some
other way to be fed."
 They meant to find out what Little Two
Eyes did. So the next time that Little Two
Eyes set out, Little One Eye came to her and
said:-

 "I will go with you into the field, and see
that the goat is well taken care of, and feed
in the best pasture." But Little Two Eyes
saw what Little One Eye had in her mind.
So she drove the goat into the long grass, and
said:-
 "Come Little One Eye, we will sit down
and I will sing to you." Little One Eye sat
down; she was tired after her long walk in
the hot sun, Little Two Eyes began to
sing:-
 "Are you awake, Little One Eye? Are
you asleep, Little One Eye? Are you awake,
Little One Eye? Are you asleep, Little One
Eye? Are you awake? Are you asleep?
Awake? Asleep?" By this time Little One
Eye had shut her one eye and was fast asleep.
When Little Two Eyes saw this, she said
softly:-
 "Little goat, bleat: little table rise;" and
she sat at the table and ate and drank till
 she had had enough. Then she said as
before:-
 "Little goat, bleat; little table away," and
in a twinkling all was gone.
 Little Two Eyes now awoke Little One Eye,
and said:-
 "Little One Eye, why do you not watch?
You have been asleep, and the goat could have

run all over the world. Come! let us go
home." So home they went, and Little Two
Eyes again did not touch the dish. The others
asked Little One Eye what Little Two Eyes
did in the field. But she could only say:-
 "Oh, I fell asleep out there."


This is the first of three parts to this story.
One of my questions is about the mother. What did she look like? How many eyes did she have?

Well I think that's all I will share with you this time.
I hope everyone has a good weekend.
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment