Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Mary Mattingly: June 21, 1928 Springfield, Ky.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a very nice weekend. Mine was good. I got a few things put away for the winter. I have a number of little statues that I always like to put away for the winter. It will not be long and winter will be knocking on our door.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary Mattingly. It's always a bigger challenge trying to figure out her letters.



  As always, for those that find it hard to read here is what it is. I've done my best to figure out exactly what it says:

                    Willisburg Ky
                     June 19 1928
Dear Friend Howard
I received your letter yesterday
and it is so wet and we can't work I
will answer your letter for we will
be busy when it gets dry for a
while my garden looks good if it
would fair up so I could work it
the ground have hardening been dry
enough to work for three night
you know have for be kind we are
with our work it is fair today
and I take it will scurry that till
we can get home work done
which do you like the first town

                .2.
or the country it is nice you don't
use tobacco there an't many in our
country that don't But i think
it is a bad habit don't you
Well I have some pictures made
on that I will get them by
the time you write again and I
will have you one as soon as I get
them I'm sure you are tired waiting But
I had some taken once and they
weren't any good an I have had them
taken again I think they will be good
this time I know so far you are
tired looking for a picture an I don't
blame you but I can't help it I would have
sent it long go if I had had one so I will
close for this time looking to hear from you
again soon.

From your Friend
Mary Mattingly


I did my best to figure out what she meant but I know I did got a lot of it wrong. Maybe you can do a better job of figuring it out.
She is still promising to send a picture of herself.
  She must live in Willisburg but it gets postmarked in Springfield.

Here are two more viewer cards from the "Scene's from New York":

 Interior of Madison Square Garden at Night.
Madison Square at Night.

The picture of the interior of Madison Square Garden is from the second version of it. The one we know today is the third version of it.
Here is what Wikipedia had to say about it:
 Madison Square Garden was an indoor arena in New York City, the second by that name, and the second to be located at 26th Street and Madison Avenue in Manhattan. Built in 1890 at the cost of a half-million dollars and closing in 1925, the arena hosted numerous events, including boxing matches, orchestral performances, light operas and romantic comedies, the annual French Ball, both the Barnum and the Ringling circuses, and the Democratic National Convention in 1924, which nominated John W. Davis after 103 ballots. The 1890 version replaced the first Madison Square Garden, and was itself replaced by the third Madison Square Garden (which was the first to be located away from Madison Square).

And as for Madison Square this is what Wikipedia has to say about that:
 Madison Square is a public square formed by the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Broadway at 23rd Street in the New York City borough of Manhattan. The square was named for James Madison, fourth President of the United States. The focus of the square is Madison Square Park, a 6.2-acre (2.5-hectare) public park, which is bounded on the east by Madison Avenue (which starts at the park's southeast corner at 23rd Street); on the south by 23rd Street; on the north by 26th Street; and on the west by Fifth Avenue and Broadway as they cross.
The park and the square are at the northern (uptown) end of the Flatiron Districtneighborhood of Manhattan. The neighborhood to the north and west of the park isNoMad ("NOrth of MADison Square Park") and to the north and east is Rose Hill.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:
No idea when this was taken or who they are. 
Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment