Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Sigrid Niemela: June 18, 1928 Mt. Iron, Minn.

Dear Friends,
I hope this post finds you all well. If you live out East, I hope you are safe and that the hurricane did not do to much damage at you place. I know a number people are very devastated by the damage and loss of life. The power of nature is something we can not fight.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Sigrid:




  As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

               Mt. Iron, Minn
                 June 18, 1928
Dear Howard,
Again I've neglected ans-
wering your letter, but
you see my sister came
over and I couldn't
find any such time
so I could be alone, you
see no one but we
know of this corres-
pondence, unless you've
told your friends etc.
But this morning I happened
to get up early & as she's
still sleeping I tho't
I'll write a little, to
let you know I'm still
alive at least.
I'm so disgusted with

this part of the world
now. It's always rain-
ing, not a blessed
nice day or evening
now that it started.
How are your crops
coming up? Our pot-
otoes were up nice &
then "Jack Frost" nipped
them. I didn't plant
much of anything this
year, probably too lazy.
I was to the country
some 31 miles from here,
yesterday. They had some
church doings & meetings
there but I just bummed
around & saw some
of my old friends there.
Do you believe that
13th days are unlucky?
I never did put much

           2.
thought to it, but last
week it happened that
a car tipped right
over, by out house. No-
body got hurt, because
they were going so slow
but there's a pretty sharp
curve so it just happened
& they were our neighbors
too.
Have you done any-
thing to the house now?
I guess you don't get much
time in summer to
carpenter. I think that
any kind of trees around
it would be nice,
without waiting for a

wife to tell. Get some
that grow easy and
quick. We haven't
hardly any trees in
the yard, but it
certainly isn't my
fault.
This must be getting
rather monotonous al-
ready, so I'll quietly
slip out. No extra special
news now anyway.
You write soon
anyway if you possibly
have time. I wish
I could hear your
records oh boy! I bet
I'd be always winding
at that "funny-graph".
               as Ever
                   Sigrid

It sounds like it was a rainy time around where she lived. It kind of sounds like the kind of weather we have had around here this year.
I wonder what kind of a car the neighbor had that it tipped over going around a curve at a very slow speed. That's what happens when you go around a curve on the 13th.
It kind of sounds like Grandpa was planting some trees around the house.
She sounds a little down to me. I wonder if she ever told her sister about writing to Grandpa or if it remained a secret.
I wonder which record was Grandpa's favorite at the time.

Here are two more viewer cards from the "Scene's from New York" set:

 East River Bridge.
   Steam Yachts and Ferry Boats, New York Harbor.

Since I have never been to New York I can only show you a picture a found on the internet that might show a similar thing or area.
Here is the what I think is the same bridge:

 Image result for east river bridge
A different angle, but I think the same.

Image result for new york harbor
I couldn't find the right kind of an angle, so I guess this must do.

Here is a random picture fro you to look at:

The reason I picked this picture is because of her story about the car that tipped over. This truck did something like that too. I remember my dad telling about what happened but right now I can't remember the details.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week and come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment