Friday, July 25, 2014

Rose E. Hoelscher: March 20, 1922 Albert Lea

Dear Friends,
Hope are you? Me, I'm doing good. My week was uneventful. My husband had a fright on Thursday. He was raking some hay when suddenly it was almost like a kind of tornado that took the hay and started whipping it around. If it was a whirl wind it was the biggest he had ever seen. When it was done over half of the field was scattered all over including a near by road. If only he had a camera with him so I could prove it happened.
Anyway here is the next letter from Rose.


It's a little hard to make some of it out so here is what I make out.

                 Albert Lea Minn.
                  March 20, 1922
                  Hoelscher's farm
                  near 5 bells
Dear Friend
I received your welcome letter some time
ago, and of course should of answered
sooner. It is some job to write when
a person keeps putting it off.
I wrote one letter since the last one
I wrote to you
Well how's the weather where you live
It is very horrid weather here now
It has been raining soon and it very
cloudy yet no sunshine at all

You say it is the hardest winter
you can remember. Well it is not the
hardest Winter Minn has had since
I can remember We didn't have much
snow this Winter but lot of ice.
You asked if we had any Parties
here not now, There isn't any it is
lent now I wouldn't go any way
if there was some
I there a lot of parties where you are
There is a lot of dairying in the country
for most farmers have a lot
of cattle
You say your Brother and you
have a Ford together If I lived nearer
you Maybe you would give me
a ride in your Ford Ha Ha
I sure was surprised you get
the pictures they were just
fine and dandy was very glad to get them
thanks very much for them
Well the pictures had than were
no good on good at all the worse

I ever seen but just as soon get
 a good Picture of myself I sure will
remember to send you one
How's that it is the best I can do
O say do you know a girl by the name
of Carol Johnson of Ogema Wis. the time
my brother had his name in the paper
she wrote him a letter he answered
but she never wrote again
Well as news is scarce I will close
for this time hoping to hear from
you soon Your friend
excuse poor  Rose E. Hoelscher    Albert lea
writing                                             Minn
                                                       R. box 26

In this letter I learned one thing about Rose. She was not a party kind of girl.
Grandpa must have told her that it was the hardest winter he could remember. At least at that time.
Here is a picture from the scrap book.
Four Oconomowoc farmers--(left to right) Oscar Stiemke, Art and George Heubner and Leonard
Rowe-- dig their way to freedom on Highway P in Waukesha county a mile north of the village of
Gifford-- Journal Staff Photo
Remember the scrap book is from about 1936.

Not to much to comment on in this letter, so here are a couple of random pictures.
I don't know who is standing on top of this hay. I choose this one because of what happened to my husband yesterday. Just imagine this hay being whirled around in the air in front of you. Minus the horses of course. To me it's a scary thought of almost being caught up in something like that.

 I choose this picture in honor of a cousin who is getting married this weekend. It was taken at a studio called Wilde in Shawano Wis. I'm not sure who this couple is but they look to be on the young side. I also want to mention that my youngest daughter is engaged and getting married next year in May.

Well news is scarce so I will close for now.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment