Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Theresa Lambert: Nov. 8, 1921 Chicago

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good. But now I'm older by another year. Well I can't get younger not matter how hard I try. So I except the inevitable. I am becoming wiser, I think. Oh well.
Here is the next letter from Theresa.


 If you are wondering why the first page is discolored it's because there was a newspaper clipping included. Before I show you that here is what the letter says in case you can't make out some of it.

                                 Chicago Ill
                                  Nov. 8-1921
Dear Howard:
     Received your most
welcome letter and almost
gave up hopes of hearing
from you again. I think
the pictures turned out fine.
    It has rained all day,
then turned to hail and
now it is snowing. Fine
weather I calls it.
     I would't mind having
a nice fox throw. I think
you got a good price for
              2
it. What do you mean by
getting in so late in the
morning from a basket
social. I haven't been in
bed before two o'clock in
the morning since I
left Hayward. I am
sorry to hear that Thomas's
hand is not well yet. I
hope it is not worse.
     My mother said you should tell your father
that the criple came to
Chic with her and is going
              3
to work here and rent
the farm. Well I guess
I will ring off hoping
to heat from you soon
                As ever
                Thres

P.S. Katheryn Clary
must of put this in
the paper about her dad.

Here is the clipping she sent.
 I won't type it up. So just click on it to make it bigger. I thought it was a very cute story the way it is written. I wonder how much of it is true.I wonder if Katheryn wrote it herself.

She said something about wanting a fox throw. I did find a picture of grandpa with a fox.
I wonder if it is one in the same.

She mentioned something about a basket social that Grandpa got home very late.

A basket social sometimes known as Box socials was a chance for men and women to spend time together while giving groups a chance to raise money for things like churches, schools and other needs. Sometimes these events lead to marriage. Each lady in attendance would bring a basket containing a lunch for two. Men would bid on the baskets or a certain one to spend special time with the lady who made the basket. It has been popular off and on over the years.

I also wonder what Thomas did to his hand. I hope it didn't cause him to much trouble.
I also wonder who she was referring to as cripple and who's farm was being rented out.

I decided to show you what was on the back of one of the clippings.
To me that's sounds like a very good price for a eight course meal.  A thousand wives agree with me. Do you?

Here are a couple of random pictures for you to look at.
I'm not sure who this is but the date on the side is Jun 64.
Just another portrait with no name or studio name.

Well that's all I have for you today. I hope everyone has a good week. 
Till next time.
As ever,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment