Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Mary: July 18, 1924 Rib lake Wis

Hello Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good. We had gone to Wausau and spent a little time on Rib Mountain. I forgot my camera so no pictures. There were a lot of other people spending time there and taking pictures. It was more then likely the last good day to see any color on the trees this season.
Here is the next letter from Mary. A little something else was included in this one. I think you will get a kick out of it, if you know what it is.





Here is what it says:

               Rib Lake Wis.
               July 18, 1924
Hello Howard,
   You said I was to
write first this time
so I'll try my luck.
  How did you get home
Tuesday? I hope you did
not have any accidents
going around the all
those curves. I got home
alright so you needn't
worry about me.
  Did you know that
I was to a show at
Ogema? It certainly was
a dandy. And Ogema

is a nice little place
isn't it? Even if it isn't
as large as Rib Lake.
  How were you at your
work Wednesday? You
didn't fall asleep on the
job, did you? At least
I hope not, that
would make me feel
awful. You know I'd
hate to have some-
thing like that on
my conciense.
I can't think of
a single thing to
write any more so
I guess I'll say

goodbye. Best wishes
   from Mary
Do you think I'd get
any kind of a stand-
ing on this letter?

(This is from the last note with that special gift.)

This is what you get for
not keeping both hands
on the steering wheel

Can you guess what it is?
I'll tell you. Ready....
A HAIRNET!!!
I guess it does not matter what decade you grew up in. Keeping both hands on the steering wheel when you have a date has always been challenging.
I'm not sure if she is saying Grandpa didn't keep both hands on the steering wheel or if she was just trying to be funny. What do you think?

I was trying to figure out what the populations of Rib lake and Ogema  was back then but it has been a little hard to find the right info, when you don't want to have to pay for it. But it looks like back then Rib Lake could have had the population of about 1100, maybe. Back then these town were good sized places because of the logging that went on around there in those days.

Oh well, here are a few random pictures for you to see.

This could be someone from Grandma's side. It was taken at Ross studio in Appleton, Wis.

I think the one on the left could be Grandpa, but I'm not sure.


This is one of the logging camps. Heden Camp in the Town of Hill. I wonder if grandpa worked at this one?

Well that's about it for now. I hope you have a good week.
So till next time.
Best wishes from,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment