Friday, October 31, 2014

Mary Kauer: Sept. 10, 1924 Rib Lake, Wis

Dear Friends,
How are you? Me, I'm good. The week was the same old same old for me. Are you ready for the change in the weather? I hope you have a good Halloween.
Enough small talk, here is the next letter from Mary.


As always here is what it says:

         Rib Lake Wis
        Sept. 8, 1924
Hello Mr Johnson;
   How are you getting
along and how do you
like the weather? I'm
fine, the same as always.
   I finishes the book
already and I certainly
enjoyed reading it.
   Did you know that Rose
is working at Youman's again?
We were up at Westboro
Sunday, Rose's brother, my
brother, our schoolmarm &
myself. We had one grand
time getting there. We went

thru the hills and in one
place our car skidded so
that it stood crossways over
the road.
   Well, we got there anyhow
and we stayed about an hour.
Rose was out to Riverview
Sat. nite and they had a
couple of flights, same as
always.
   That Finnlauder sweetheart
of yours, Anna R is working
at Youman's too.
   Going home we took 13
but that was almost as
bad, but it hasn't so many
curves. In the evening

we went to Wellington, the
four of us in Anton Kauers
coupe! So you see we had
all the rides we wanted for
one day.
   It's getting late so I'll
close with best wishes from
              Mary K.
I almost forgot to send my
wedding picture, what do
you think of it?

 I think I got most of the words right. But I'm sure I got the name of the business right. I'm not sure what it was right now. I'll check into it a little farther.
It looks like at the time Grandpa was seeing Anna R and that she is a Finnish girl. I'm not sure what Finnlauder is or if I even spelled it right.
She always seams to be on the go somewhere.

I think I have an old postcard that might be of Westboro in the 1920's. Here it is.
Most roads were not paved like they are now so it was very much of a challenge to travel comfortably. And back then there were not seat belts so you can imagine what it was like travelling done most country roads.

How do you her picture of a bride and groom? I think she had a kind of wicked sense of humor from time to time.

In honor of Halloween here are a couple of pictures of Grandpa dressed up for Halloween.


At least I think it's Grandpa. What do you think?

Well that's all I have for you today.
Tell next time.
Good luck and best wishes
from your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment