Friday, October 17, 2014

Mary: July 29, 1924 Rib Lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
How was your week? Mine was the same old same old. This weekend I will painting my living room and hallway. So I will starting to tape things up and getting thing out of the way so we can paint. me and my youngest daughter will have a busy day on Saturday.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary.




As always, here is what it says:

          Rib Lake, Wis
          July 23, 1924
Hello Howard,
   Well, since I am
not busy just now
I'll try and right
write a decent letter.
I sp'ose your busy making
hay while the sun shines
and I'm glad I've not
got your job today.
Me for the shade.
I like warm weather
but if I had to work
outdoors today I
think I'd die.
  How'd you spend

your Sunday. I didn't
see you at Wellington
But Rosie gave me an
introduction to Dorthy
Mathews & Mildred  Engstrom.
Saturday evening I was
to a barn dance 7 Sunday
afternoon to a church
picnic out at Greenwood.
And Monday morning I
was so tired I almost
forgot to git up.
  How did you get home?
I hope you didn't break
down on the way.
And did they make you get
up at 5 o'clock again?

Say, I told Rosie about
those nets and she laughed
like a fool. She said:
"Well that's going some.' She
can laugh because she
doesn't use them any more.
   Well so long now
    good luck from
           Mary

Wellington is a lake that people like to hang out at, then and now. I've been there I think maybe once that I can think of. I am a swimmer but I did most of my swimming at the lake my other grandparents lived on, Sacketts Lake and  Mondeaux Dam. But a lot of people from the Rib lake area hung out there. I'm sure how much they do now a days. As for Greenwood, that's south of here aways so that was a lot of running around for a weekend. 

I'm not sure right now if Dorthy Mathews or Mildred Engstrom wrote to Grandpa but we'll find out over time if any of their letters show up here.

Well it looks like the hairnet in the last letter was her just being funny.

Now for a few random pictures based on things mentioned in this letter.

Just a couple of pictures taken at some lake. No idea who are in them.

And another picture of someone sitting on top of a hay pile. it kind of looks like it could be one of Grandpa and Grandma's kids.

Well that's about all I have this time.
Tomorrow, I paint. Wish me luck.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment