Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Carl Weberg: Aug.3 1921 Kansas City, Mo.

Dear Friends,
How was your weekend? Mine was just right. No real drama for me.
I suppose your wondering who Carl Weberg is. Well I am too. After organizing the letters and things I had set aside the next thing to show you was a postcard. I'm going to try and include them in order when I can.
So here is the postcard from Carl.

 I'm sure he was not from there but was only traveling through. It's a little hard to read so here is what I made out.
Kansas City 8-3-21
Dear Friend: How are
you? I am fine. Wouldn't
you wish you'd gone with
me. I expect to be home
the last part of the
month. I read your
letter. As ever your
friend, Carl Weberg

I've done a little reach on the place from the front of the card this is what I found out.
The Sweeney School for Auto, Tractor & Aviation was active from 1908-1929. It grew the most during WWI as a large number of draftees were sent to the school for training. It was known for it's hands on method of instruction known as "The Sweeney System".
In 1918 there was a flu pandemic that affected 2,300 of the 3,000 students that were enrolled. 15 mechanics died between Sept. 29 and Oct. 4.
The building today has a 7,000 square foot showroom for Portfolio Kitchen and Home.
The Associated Press has offices on the 2nd floor.
UMKC Institute for Human Development is on the 4th and 6th floors.
Maybe someday I'll get to see how it looks now.

I found what I think is a picture of Carl Weberg.


I'm not sure who they were for sure but I'm assuming they were friends of Grandpa's.

I was looking through some of the other postcards that were mixed in other things and came upon a couple more I wanted to show you.

This one is from Sweden. I can't make out the post mark because it's over the stamp. This is what it says.
Greetings from Sweden
This old church was built
in 1799. It is very well kept
and is beautiful Mother
& Dad were confirmed and
married here.
Ruth

I'm not sure who Ruth is for sure but I'm working on the connection. Plus I have to start studying my English, Swedish dictionary and figure out what it says. When I do I'll let you know or maybe someone else will.


I'm not even sure who this is from. But the post mark is Sept. 24, 1918.
Here is what I can make out.
Jacksonville Sept. 24
Have been here
a couple of days and
am going back to-
night. Will stop at New Orleans for
a day or so. So long Al

I'm not sure if it says Al or something else. It's behind the postmark.
Maybe someday I'll get it figured out with a little help.

Well that's about all I know for now. Or as Walter would say news is short.
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment