Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Katheryn Clary: Nov. 17, 1920 Chicago

Dear Friends,
I hope you all had a good weekend. Mine was not to bad. A little to much rain on Sunday but that's okay.
Well here is the next letter from Katheryn.
I know it's typed and easy to read but I'll type it up anyway.

Dear Howard:

     Well I suppose you think that I have forgotten
you but I surely have not. I have had about six different
positions since you heard from me last, do you know that?
Lamberts are moving now and Mrs' Lambert & Kasmer are at
their aunts house, and the father is at his brothers, Lulu
and Valeria are aunt Jeanett's and Theresa is with me, how
thrilling.

     Well are you going sleigh riding lately? I'll bet
you have a dozen girls or more how about it? Has Elmer as
many as ever? How is your Henry? Its snowing here today
and its so warm and nice out. How is your mother, dad and
Tom, of course yourself? I'm fine could'ent be better.

     When are you coming to Chicago? Do you go to
many shows out there, I have been living in them of late.
I go to quite a few dances too, do you go to very many.
Say have you been playing bunco lately? I'll bet you forgot
how? say why don't you give some bunco parties there piles
of fun and if you don't know how just write me and I'll give
you the full particulars, as it is peachy way to spend
a winter evening and exciting, Well I just bet it is, we
give dozens of them.

     Well I am just about falling asleep and it is
only nine o'clock at morning. Don't forget to answer
this letter as soon as possible understand?
Very many murders out there? Gee there are piles of them
here, it sure does keep you humping to keep up with them
all the time. So long until the next time.
             Always your friend,
               Katheryn.
Answer soon.

I wonder why Theresa's family was moving again. Maybe one of them will tell more in future letters.

She said something about a game called Bunco.

 I actually bought this game when I first read the letter awhile ago.
It's a dice game. It started in the 19th century England where it was known as 'Eight Dice Cloth". It was then imported to San Francisco as a gambling activity in 1855. After the civil war it became a popular parlor game. During the 1920's prohibition it once again became a gambling game at speakeasy's. Law enforcement that raided these parlors became known as The Bunco Squads.

 It once again became popular  in the 1980's.
The rules are as follow From Wikipedia.
Standards widely recognized are: There are six rounds, progressing in order from one to six, where the number of the round serves as the target for that round's rolls. Within a round, players alternate turns rolling three dice, aiming to obtain the target number. Players gain one point for each die matching the target. If the player gets three-of-a-kind of the target number (a Bunco), they get 21 points. The round stops when a player at a head table obtains 21 points. Whoever wins the most rounds is the overall winner.
So if you like dice games, give it a try.

If sounds like Chicago is just as deadly as ever.

It sounds like Katheryn had a very active life in the 1920's. Going to shows and dances all the time. Today people are looking at that thing in their hand for entertainment and call that getting together. 

Anyway here are a few random pictures.


No clue who this young couple are. They could even be siblings for all I know.
There is a good chance that this picture could have been taken around 1900 or earlier.
I'm not sure who is the canoe. it was taken June 1964. I was two years old at that time.

Well that's about it for now.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment