Friday, June 20, 2014

Theresa Lambert: Aug. 10, 1921 Chicago

Dear Friends,
How was your week? Mine was quiet and a little rainy from time to time.
Here is the next letter from Theresa to start your weekend off right with something good to read and think about.



Well as always here is what is says if you have a hard time reading it.

Dear Howard;
     I suppose you think
I have forgotten all about
you but I haven't. We have
been up to Hayward and
back again. We would
have stopped in your place
but we took a shorter road
and got to Hayward in a little
more than a day and a
half. i wanted to stop in
awfully bad but we were in
a hurry to get there. We had
              2
a lovely trip and a good
time while we were there.
We only stayed three weeks.
I didn't want to come home
this time. We how have had
fine weather till we got
rain this morning. Lucile
and I have been having
some rare times here. Last
nite we took a ride in one
of the boys car way out, forty
miles from Chi and stopped
at a road house (The House
That Jack Built) it is called.
              3
You haven't anything like
that out there I don't think.
Well I guess this will be all
for this time. Give my best
regards to everybody and say
Hello to Tom for me.

       Respectfully
        Theresa

Theresa Lambert
    1736 Iroing Pk. Blod.
    Chicago Ill.

The time between letters from Theresa is getting farther and farther apart.
I looked up roadhouse. They were bars and restaurants and hotel combination sometimes that were usually located on the out skirts of cities. I tried to find The House That Jack Built but was unsuccessful in finding it. But I did find pictures of other ones. Here are a couple of examples.
  
This one is from Alaska, I think.

This is a picture of The Rendezvous Bar. It was wired to four other roadhouses to alert them of police raids.

I know she keeps mentioning Hayward. In case you've never been there or even heard of it, here are a couple of pictures of what you will find there.

Hayward is known as the musky Capital of the world. Here is proof.

If you get the chance you should drop by it and climb in the big Musky. I've been there at least  once, I think.
As for what Theresa could have enjoyed so much I'm not sure.
Maybe it's because it was close to the same area that Al Capone had a hideout.


Here are a few random pictures I've chosen for you to see.
The back of this picture says Ma & 6 six kids. I think it's all of their kids . But where they are I'll have to ask my dad if he remembers.

This is my uncle Kenny and Leo when they where young

I'm not sure where this was taken but it's a scene from a time gone by.

Well that's about it for now. I hope you enjoyed what I shared with you this time.
So till next time.
Respectfully yours,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment