Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Anna Roseen: June 19, 1923 Ironwood Mich.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend I did. No real drama.Except for a little tractor trouble the husband had. If I would have had a camera with me I could have showed you a push me pull me tractor.
Anyway here is the next letter from Anna Raseen. it was sent from Ironwood Mich. but at the head of the letter it says Ogema, Wis. That tells me she wrote it while in Ogema but did not send it out till she got back to Ironwood.







It's another long one. So here goes.

           Ogema, Wis
           June 15, 1923
Dear friend, I just came
home and received your
letter for which many
thanks, You haven't
told any body I've
written to you have
you? Well I wonder
if I still could trust
you I always did before
so I hope I can now
also. Well I got a job
at St. James Hotel but
please don't let it out
I don't want nobody
to know I'm working

I told my folks I might
go and get a job but I'll
not tell them I am
working they probly
wouldn't like it.
But still don't worry
I'll come back soon
probly next weekend
how my plans turn
out. Haha how did you
think that I forget
Swedes? not so bad (haha)
Last nite I laughed that
I almost croaked you
see we were to the
new memorial Hall

there was church on
the Holy Hoppers side
but I wouldn't stay very
long and a couple
little kids introduced
themselves to us
they only were young
youngsters (haha) and
we went carnival
with them. Don't
think I'm crazy yet
but still I'm going
friends coarse some
say less friends the
better but I think
a friend need is a friend

indeed. Isn't that rite.
Oh my I'm tired guess
I'll have to go bed
early after this. I
must work from 7.00 am.
to 5.00 P.M and don't
get out only Sunday
at 2.00 P.M. They
pay $25.00 a mo.
not very good is it.
How would you like
a flower not very good
tho I haven't any
better ones. It's got a
good odor (haha)

My cousin bought
a new record for
his phonograph today
title is "The Burning
Sand" and "Falling."
That dosen't mean
me I'm sure. well
Hows Viala Loeson
just as jolly I suppose
and Lila your S.H.
(haha) You know my
aunt guessed that
your letter was from
a boy because I
smiled when I saw

it. You don't think
I'm a musical
instument do you?
Tell hello to Edna
& Julia but not the
Finns they probly
wouldn't care for
them. Your friend
            Anna
P.S. I have to eat
only vegetables & fruit
and have a cold
bath every morning
Please burn this

guess you remembered
the song record you
played for me last
when your gone I
won't forget you

but guess
your the only
one just the
     same
Answer
soon

Boy she like to write. Badly, but she writes.I tried to spell things the way she did. At least I hope I got the words right.
The first thing she talks about is where she found a job. St. James Hotel. Would you believe I found a picture of it from that time on the internet.

I wonder why her parents didn't want her to work? I think she said she was getting $25.00 a month. I wonder what the job was? I wonder why she didn't want anyone to know why they were  writing to each other?
This letter is a little bit of a challenge to figure out so that it makes sense.

She said her cousin bought a record of the song The Burning Sand. I think I found the song. Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWjcpiOzbE

I tried to copy the video of this song but it would not do it but I think if you click on the link you will be able to listen to it. Just look for it on YouTube.

I wonder if the chiropractor told her to only eat veggies and fruit and to take a cold bath every morning? i wonder if it helped her? So many questions and never any answers.
As for asking grandpa to burn the letter after reading it, didn't work did it.

Here is another picture I found that has her in it.


She is the one in the front middle.

Well now I would like to share with you a couple of random pictures.

I have no idea who this is. it was taken at Mattbes Studio.
I think my dad told me once where this was taken but I forget. My uncle Kenny is the one on the right.

Well this was a long post so I will close for now.
Enjoy the rest of your week and I'll see you on Friday.
Take care.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment