Friday, August 22, 2014

Katheryn Clary: Nov. 1,1923 Chicago

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was uneventful. As for the weekend, not to sure what we will be doing. I have to work on Saturday.
Anyway here is the next letter from Katheryn.
I know it is typed but I'll still copy what it says.

                    Nov. 1 , 1923
Dear Howard:-
             I suppose you will be rather surprised to hear from me againe eh,
well I am very sorry that I have waited this long to answer your letter.
How are all the folks including yourself. I suppose you are married by this
time. Well I'm not- is Tom and Elmer? Gosh there are not any question marks
on this machine so you will have to use your imagination.

           Lamberts just got back from Hayward the other nite but they did
not stop off any place cause they made the trip in one day. Maybe if I go with
them next summer we will stop off and see the whole buch and play Bunco again
how about it?

         Do you go to any dances? I suppose you will be ice skating
soon now. The weather is just getting cold here, but I hate the winter
I wish it would be summer all the time don't you?

        Did you go to any Halloween parties? I went to a couple of
them and we gave one in Theresa Lamberts basement while her mother was away
and it was keen.
         All I have been doing is dancing lately. Thats about all
I think of. I hope you answer this letter sooner than I did cause I am very
anxious to hear from you, do you think you will?
       
      I am at work now and have not much to do and have been think-
ing of you lately so tho't I would write you a letter. You know I am not sure
who wrote last so that means you better answer this right away.

        If you have any pictures taken recently I would like to have
a couple of the whole gang to put in my album, as I have almost forgotten what
you all look like.

          Well I guess I will close hoping to hear from you
           real soon.
                                                     Your friend,
                                                       Kay
Miss Kay Clary
3510 Southport Avenue
Chicago, Illinois.

It looks like Katheryn and Theresa are once again friends, for now. I wonder if they stayed close through out their lives or if they finally grew apart in the end.
She mentioned Halloween so I found a picture of Grandpa dressed up for Halloween.

At least that's what it said on the back.

I decided to do a little research on where she was working at the time. Johnson & Higgins insurance.
It started in 1845 as Jones & Johnson. In 1854 it became Johnson & Higgins.
Today it is the 5th largest insurance brokerage firm in the world and the largest that is privately owned.


She said she wanted pictures of the whole gang because she was starting to forget what they looked like. I'm not sure what group they are but here is a group from about that time.
Maybe some day someone will be able to tell me if they know anyone in this picture.
Here's an other group of six guys.
No clue who any of them are.

Here is another random picture that could have been taken in the 19 teens.

One of the neighbors that I'm sure a number of people know of.

Well that's about all for now.I hope everyone has a good weekend. I'll try but like I said I do have to work tomorrow.
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment