Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Alfred Johnson: Feb. 26, 1924 Park Falls Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was not to bad. I went to a 50th wedding anniversary on Saturday for my Uncle Jerry and Aunt Nancy. It was nice to see some of the cousins that I don't get to see very often. Plus my husband got a 6 point buck Saturday, so we will have fresh venison in the freezer soon. As soon as we get it back from the meat processor.
Enough about my weekend, I'm sure you want to read the next letter that is from Alfred Johnson.

 Here is what it says:
                Park Falls Wis
                Feb. 26, 1924
Friend Howard.
     Just received your
letter and I am sorry to
say that we cannot pay
4.00 Pr day and board the
Best we can do is $4.75 Pr day
if you want to work for that
you can start next
Monday.
if you want to come
let me know. if you come
you can be sure that you
will be treated 100% Human
no teasing going on here.
            Sincerely
             Alfred

I wonder if Grandpa took that job. It looks like he could have made more a day then he thought he would. Could you imagine earning $4.75 a day? That was a lot back then. Today people expect a lot more then that. I wonder what that would translate in today's pay rate?
It was good to know that he would be treated like a human. I'd hate to think he would have been treated like anything else. And no teasing, that is good to know and I suppose was a load off of Grandpa mind. That is one thing most places don't promise today.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.



I wonder if these are the men that Grandpa could have worked with. If this is the same place the job was offered at.

I thought since it was harvest season I would share a picture of a field that was harvested of what I'm not sure right now.

Well that's about all I have to offer you today.
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment