Friday, September 12, 2014

Laura Spieles: Feb. 10, 1924 Westboro, Wis.

Dear Friends,
How are you? A little wet? I'm getting very tired of all this rain we have been getting around here. Now it's starting to get colder also. Before you know it there could be snow on the ground here. Out west they have been getting snow already. Nothing is sticking yet but it won't be long and a winter wonderland will be happening.
Anyway here is the next letter. According to the writer she has never written to Grandpa before but I have put a letter out there already by this same name. Is it possible someone just used her name just to write? Or did someone do it just to play a joke on her? Will there questions ever get answered?
The writers name is Laura Spieles. You decide if they could possibly be the same person or not. Just go to the other letter written by this name.

   As always here is what it says:

           Westboro Wis.
            Feb. 10th 1924
Dear Howard;
                  I suppose
you will be surprised to
hear from me. I got
your letter about a month
ago but I didn't know
who had written it.
You didn't sign your
name to it. I showed
Olga Sulko the address
and she said it was
from you. I did not
write that letter you
spoke about and I
don't know who could
have written it.
Altho I didn't write
the first letter I hope

you will keep up the
correspondence I think
I have seen you once
and from what I have
heard about you I
think I will like you.
I don't think you will
like me because I heard
you didn't like girls
with bobbed hair and
I have bobbed hair.
I am a Junior in
high school and am
rooming at Mrs. Evan's.
A school teacher is
rooming here to and
we sure have some
good times. I will close for this time
hoping you will answer
my letter.
             Yours truly,
              Laura Spieles

Looking at this letter and comparing it to the other letter, The Sheik letter, the hand writing is different. You compare.  As for grandpa not liking bobbed hair, I don't think that was true. A number of the girls he wrote to along with Grandma, had bobbed or short hair.
I wonder why she was staying in a rooming house. Just another question that will never be answered I guess.

Here are a couple of random pictures of girls from Grandpa's past.

I have no clue who they are, do you?

Now something from the scrap book.
"I always wash and iron on Mondays and my 'usband works in 'is
garden-- flood or no flood."     (Passing Show, London)

I thought with all the rain we have been getting I'd show you it's something people have been having to deal with for a very long time. Just something to think about this weekend.

Well that's about it for now.
Till next time.
Yours always,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment