Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Lila Haapoja & Laimie Annala: January 20, 1924 Brantwood, Wisconsin; Leap year letters

Dearest Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. I spent half of it painting Now I just have to find the right boarder and it will be complete.
Anyway here is the next two letters are from Lila Haapoja and laimie Annala. They are leap year letters, which was a popular thing to do back then. I've scanned both even thou they say the exactly same thing.





They are a little  hard to read so here is what I see.

            Brantwood, Wisconsin
               January 20, 1924
Dearest Beloved,
  As leap year is here, I
think it is a woman's
duty to propose. I there-
fore ask you to be my
darling and husband for
life.
  My beloved husband, I
am working every day
and earn enough money
to support two persons. I
have a bed without legs, a
chair without a seat, a
bed without springs, and
a mirror without glass.
Kindly take these things
into consideration before
you answer me.
  If you think I am fine
and dandy, send me a
box of candy.
  If your love is dead,

send me a loaf of bread.
  if you think I am fine,
send me a bottle of wine.
  Our eyes have met, our
lips not yet, but O, Georg-
ette,I'll get you yet.
   Your Beloved Darling,
        Lila Haapoja
(  Laimie Annala )

A little corny but kind of fun to read. Maybe it could start the trend again.
I'm not sure right now if there are any more letters from either one of these girls right now but time will tell.
Here are a couple of old pictures that have to do with this tradition.





And now a few random pictures for you to see.


 I'm not sure who these girls are exactly but they look like they are good friends.

This is Grandma. I'm not sure where she was but it has to in one of the local parks.

And this is my younger sister. Ginger. It's her birthday today. Now how old are you today?

Well that's all have for you today.
So till next time.
Your Beloved Darling,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment