Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Edna: May 3, 1924 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you enjoyed the beautiful weekend we had here. It could be the last warm sunny weekend for the rest of the year. (sigh) We took the dog for a walk and saw a couple of natures other beings. A snake which once fawn saw tried to go after it and ended up tossing it in to the ditch. The second thing we saw was a porcupine sleeping in a tree. I didn't have my camera with me but once we got back home I got the camera and got a picture of it. I'll show it to you after I share with you a letter from a new person.
 Her Name is Edna. I have a of picture of an Edna Swanson. I'm not sure if she is the writer of the letters but I will show you a picture of little Edna Swanson.
But first the letter.




Here is what is says:

      Chicago, Ill.,
      May 3, 1924
Dear Friend Howard:
  I'll bet you will
faint when you see
that I have written you
at last. I sure have
been going to do so
many a time, but
other circumstances
have prevented it.
You know I am
quite a busy girl
and have been
almost all the while

I have been in Chicago.
I graduated from my
College the 18th. So
I have been working
this week. The people
where we stay Mr.
Block is Vice President
of United Cigar Stores Co.
of America. So he has
me working for
him in his office.
I like it very much.
I had to fill out
an insurance blank
and had to have
references so I gave
you as one. I did
not know your

occupation, so I said
it was Lumber Business.
So if you hear from
them I know you
will give them a good
opinion of me, as you
are one of my truest
friends, you know.
  How is Thomas?
Greet him from me.
Tell him to write me
soon. Gladys says
to greet you. Mr. Block
has given us money
to go to show every
night this week.
And every morning
I ride with him
down in the taxi.

don't have to pay any-
thing.
  I don't think I will
come home until
next fall. But any
way I know I will see you. Am
getting kind of lone-
some for my old
friends.
  Well Howard
please write me
soon. I will be
waiting to hear
from you & Thomas
      Sincerely,
        Edna
3817 Rokeby St.

It sounds like she was someone who lived close to Grandpa and then went to Collage in Chicago then got a job.
Here is a picture of Edna.


I wonder if she is the writer of this letter. There are more to come. Maybe sometime she will sign her whole name and not just her first.

I looked up United Cigar Stores Co. of America and this is what I found.

It was a chain store not only selling cigars but other things like Micky Mouse watches and shoe trees. By 1926 it had 3000 stores.


I think it was very nice of Mr. Block to pay for her and Gladys to go to the show every night.
I wonder how often Grandpa and Edna got to see each other?

So many questions that will never be answered because they have already faded from history.

Here are a couple of pictures of the lumbermen at work.


No idea who are in these pictures and I don't think I ever will.

Before I go here is the picture of the porcupine I saw this weekend taking a nap in a tree.

Well that's all I have for you today. I hope you have a good week.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment