Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Mary Kauer: Oct. 22, 1924 Rib Lake, Wis

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Here it was very foggy. Not a good thing for hunting season. The husband has not gotten anything, yet. The snow have come close to being all melted but today on Monday it came back. Not as much but everything is once again covered in the white stuff.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary.



 As always here is what I see when I read it:

              Rib Lake Wis
              Oct. 22, 1924
Hello Howard;
   Well, since you
say I'm honest I'll have
to write this week or I'll
 spoil my reputation.
I hope you got home
alright Saturday.
  I was in Westboro Sunday
but did not stop at
Youman's. Bannervilles
went for a ride so I went
along. We went up on 102
and then thru the curves
into Ogema and thru West-
boro and then home again

I wasn't home at all. In the
evening & went to Wellington
with Rosies & my brother.
I had a real nice time
and we stayed till the
end. I'm going to that
basket social at Niggeman's
School tonight, but I
have nothing in my
basket yet, so I'll have
to get busy. And I have
another letter to write.
I think the person that
 invented letter writing
ought to be put into
prison for life.

Think I'll close now as
I'm awfully busy
Best wishes from M.K.
I hope you can read this
I can hardly read it myself.

If I remember right she did mention Youman's  in a different letter. At that time I didn't know where it was, well it looks like it was in Westboro and not Rib Lake. I wonder how long that store was around?
The road she talks about that runs between Westboro and Rib lake, I think is Country trunk D. It is a very curvy road. I was talking to someone at work about it and said that it originally started out to be an old Indian trail. The things you learn when you least expect it.
I wonder what she put in her basket and if maybe Grandpa went to the Basket Social. I guess we will never know.
I got a little bit of a chuckle when she said he called her honest.

Anyway here are a few random pictures for you to see.

 Grandpa, Grandma and the first three boys with a deer Grandpa got. I wonder when this one was taken and how old the boys were.

A picture of a deer along side the road.

In honor of the recent snow fall here is a picture of the garage area. Us kids spent many days playing in that little woods.

Well that's all I have for you today. I hope everyone has a very good Thanksgiving and stay safe.
Your friend always,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment