Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Carol: Nov. 23, 1934; Milwaukee, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a very nice weekend. Mine was nice and quiet. Saturday I stayed home and did housework. Sunday we went to Wausau to the fair and then we visited with our granddaughter. Saturday was on the wet side. Sunday was on the hot side. Nothing else to say.
So, here is the next letter from Carol:


 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                            Monday Nov 20-34
Hi Howard,
  Received your letter and I must say
you were very prompt.
   Well what did you do over the weekend.
I went out to a party Saturday nite, and
Sunday we went up to West Bend to
a wedding anniversary- Silver. I was quite
well cared for I had two young men
going up and when we got there, I had
more. Gee I had a swell time, and talk
about food, I never saw so much in all
my life. There must have been about 80
people Sunday and I don't now how
many Saturday. Saturday they killed 4
half barrels and one full barrel of beer.
Sunday we finished 3 half barrels. Oh yes
I drink. Do you? I could have died at
those people especially the kids. They
couldn't get over my colored finger
nails. I always wear the dark polish.

Did you have rain and fog Sunday nite. It
took us 3 1/2 hrs to come home from West
Bend. The joy was just terrible. Nothing
happened to us in the fog coming through the
country but when we got to the city
a car bumped into us. I hurt my arm,
and strained the cords in my neck. My
neck bothers me somewhat.
Also Sunday nite, I had a fight with the
fellow that asked me to marry him. So I
won't see him any more. I don't care tho.
I never liked him any way. I like another
fellow better.
I have the United States Marine Band on
over the radio, and they certainly have a lovely
program.
No Howard I do not know what S.Y.I.M.D.T.N.
means. What does it.
Gee it is snowing out and I am invitied out to
dinner, I suppose I well get all wet.
No I have not seen Hattie for quite some
time. Will have to shut up now.      Love
                                                     Carol
answer soon.

Carol sounds like she likes to party. I do wonder how much of that beer she had.
I do wonder how hard another car bumped into them.
I hope she was not soar for to long.
I do wonder also about the fellow she was no interested in. Did he leave her alone after that night or did he still try to pursue her.
S.Y.I.M.D.T.N. stands for; "See you in my dreams to night". At least I think that's what it means.
At least she was enjoying listening to the radio.

There is one more letter to show you. There are a few others I will still share with you from time to time.

Here is a story from "The Minnesota Union Advocate August 30, 1934:

 Did America aid Germany at the beginning of WWII?

Here are a few jokes from "Labor" Washington, D.C. Tuesday, September 4, 1934:

Are you Americanized?

Finally, a random picture:

Not sure who this little one is or when it was taken.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you'll come back again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment