Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Theresa: Hayward Aug. 4, 1919

Dear friends,
How are you? Me? I'm doing good. I just wanted to tell you that I will try to post at least twice a week. I wish I could do more but. Well I do have a full time job, plus all the other things I have to do every day. Some days I have more energy then others. Today I feel motivated to  post. So here is the next letter.




So you can see this one is a lot longer then the last. In case it's hard to read I'll type it up for you.

Dear Friend,
I received your letter
for which I thank you heartly. 
You know I wrote to you the 15 of July.
The letter was returned to me 
yesterday as a dead letter. I had addressed it wrong, but
the second one I looked at the return.
You did not say in your letter whether you received it or not
and I took it for granted that you did.
Oh well why get gray hair over that.
It is raining out here to beat seventy six. Ho! ho!

Time to laugh. We have lots of blue berries out here also.
Your not the only one. My mother preserved three gallons.
We have picked enough for six but we eat them with
sugar and cream. That's all we do is eat and sleep.
The hired man is getting peeved because we drink all his cream.
On top of all that we drink about ten quarts of milk every day.
I am certainly glad that I am not in Chicago.
You know Kathryn went home about a week after she was here,
she was home sick. She writes to me every day and lets me know
what is going on in Chic. She

says those race riots are a fright. All the police men carry regular
army rifles and all the reserved militia is out, and regular
machine guns in the streets down town.
Two ladies were killed right in front of the store
my father works in and a man had his throat cut right in front of the 
Tribune building. A little boy was stabbed and 100 killed and 
600 injured. Their having a big street car strike not one 
street car to take people to work. They all wait on the corners 
waiting for machines or trucks to take them to work.
A girl I know was found burned and buried in her own

coal pile. So you see it is quite exciting. All this news
come from Kathryn in Chic. Say! and about those pictures 
I wish you would make two more each of the pictures enclosed.
Please. Give my best regards to the rest of the family.
And don't forget the pictures. We were going to Stone lake yesterday 
but just our luck it had to rain. Well I guess I will have to close now
hoping to hear from you soon.
Your friend
Theresa
P.S. Did you get your developing outfit from Sears Roebuck& co? an.


Reading this letter for me was very eye opening. I don't remember if I ever heard of the race riots in Chicago 1919. So I looked it up on Wikipedia.( Go and check it out yourself and have your eyes opened up.) 
It started when a white man was throwing rocks at blacks in the water at a beach on the south side which resulted in Eugene Williams death. It got worse when a police officer did not arrest a white man but a black man instead. 
It was a mess, whites attacking blacks. Trying to burn the area where the blacks lived. One thing lead to another. After about a week the government deployed nearly 6000 National Guard troops.  

As for the pictures she mentioned., I do have one of them so I'll post it with the next letter where it is mentioned.

Well that's about it for now.
Your friend,
Sandy 

No comments:

Post a Comment