Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Welcome!


Welcome to Dear Howard, A Fading History.
I thought it was time to share with anyone who is interested in history that is slowly fading away.
The history I'll be sharing is from my grandparents time.
My Grandpa was born in 1900 and past away in 1984.
My Grandma was born in 1909 and past away in 1980.
The things I'll be sharing are pictures and old portraits.

A lot of the pictures my dad does not know who they are.

I also have a basket full of letters that were written to my Grandpa from about 1919 to the early 1930's.

The letters were from a number of different women and one male cousin. My hope here is to maybe find the families of the women and learn what happened to them. This was a time when my Grandpa was looking for a wife. The only letters I don't have are the ones from my Grandma. They were buried with her when she past.
Reading these letters are very interesting and sometimes challenging. The hand writing and spelling can be very hard to decipher. Some letters are very newsy. Some are just brief notes. And some are written on index size cards. I just wish I knew what he wrote them.They make it sound like he was very good at writing.  Sometimes they tell him not to be so mushy. Others tell he to burn the letter after reading.
I've learn things about him that I never knew or thought he would do. It's hard to believe your Grandparents as young people. It's surprising to learn they could be, how should a put this, risk takers in a way.
As time goes by I'll fill in things I do know about or comment on different things.
I hope to encourage other members of my family to share things they have and stories from what they knew growing up.

I do have one other thing I will be sharing from time to time.And that's things from a scrape book someone kept in the 1930's.
It was about the time when those 5 baby girls were born in Canada and some really bad snow troubles. There are a number of other things in it also.
Well that's the plan anyway.
I hope you will enjoy the history I'll be sharing and maybe someday encourage others to share their history before it all fades away, never to be seen or heard of again.
Well that's all for now.
Yours always,
Sandy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment