Friday, January 24, 2014

Theresa Lambert: Hayward, Aug.14, 1919; Plus pictures from the scrape book


Dear friends,
How are you? I'm fine. I've got another letter for you to read. It's not a real long one but it shows more of a girl starting to open up with life.


Just in case it's hard to read I have typed it up.

Dear friend,
I received your letter and pictures.
I think the pictures are dandy.
I bet it was awful to carry an old schoolmate in her coufin.
We picked blackberries today. Gee whiz that's all we do is
pick berries. I went to a dance Friday and Saturday and I am
to go to another this Saturday. I am enjoying my vacation
much better than I did at first. I have an engagement for every night
and afternoon. Well I guess

I will have to close for this time. With best regards
to you and the rest of the family.
Your friend,
Theresa 

I'm thinking she meant coffin. I wonder who it was that died. It's kind of sad that I may never know who this girl was to grandpa and why he had to carry her coffin.
As for the pictures I think I found a few more that are the ones she is talking about. I'll post them soon, when I'm sure I have found most or all of them.

I've also decided to include a couple of pictures from the scrape book. With people complaining about snow and acting like it's never happened before I picked two that I thought just might make you shake your head.

This one shows men shoveling a path for the snow plow.

The bottom one is showing an ice field on lake Michigan.

You might have to click on them to get a better look. I'm not sure exactly what year this was but I'm guessing it's a round the middle of the 1930's. I do have more from this bad winter but I thought I'd start with these two for now.

I will close for now till next time,
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment