Friday, January 17, 2014

Theresa Lambert; Hayward July 21 1919

Dear Friends,
How are you? I'm fine. I was trying to figure out how to start showing you the letters. The best way I could think of was by woman and the oldest post mark.
The oldest post mark is 1919. There were two girls that were on again, off again friends. So what I plan on doing is to follow these two woman by post marks. You will see a story unfold with Grandpa hearing both sides.
They are Theresa Billy Lambert and Kathryn Shirley Clary. They are from Chicago but must have had family in Hayward as that is were the first letter is postmarked.
I think they were about 16 when they started writing to Grandpa. So without further ado, the first letter.

If it is hard to read here is what it says;
Dear Friend,
I think the pictures are fine. They couldn't be better. 
I have given Kathryn one of each picture. We are having a good time.
Could not have a better one. We were picking berries yesterday. Gosh but those little blue berries are awfully hard to pick. We picked four quarts any way. We are all drinking milk in place of water. We are all feeling fine and hope to remain that way. 
Hoping you are all well. 
I remain your Friend
Theresa

Well that's the first one. Short and sweet. And just the beginning of something good.
So till next time,
Yours always,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment