Friday, March 7, 2014

Kathryn Clary: Dec. 17 1919 plus other random pictures

Dear Friends,
How are you? I'm doing about the same. Still too buried in snow, but doing good. Well here is the next letter from Kathryn.
In case it's hard to read here is what is says:

Dear Friend:
Received your letter and was glad to hear from you. So you say
that you can get all the sugar you want out there gee I wish I were you,
we can't get very much here. Have you heard from Theresa I asked you
that in the other letter I wrote you but you did not seem to answer it.
We have not been together for almost two months now I don't know
what is the matter with her I called three or four times and she was
never home and I called her up and she never came over so I tho't that
she did not care to go with me any more. Has she written anything to
you about it? Well how is the world treating you? I am still working at
at the same place. Well whats the use of being such a crepe hanger eh?
We are all waiting patiently for the end of the world what do you think
about it, we are just reading the paper and it says the end of the world
is due at noon today. Gee I'm feeling rather nervous (in the neck) some
people were fools enough to believe it and killed themselves. I am going
quite a few dances lately and I certainly do enjoy them. Do you dance? I
suppose you do seeing you go out with young ladies now don't blush. How is
the whole family I hope they are all enjoying the best of health yourself
encluded. I can hardly believe that a week from tomorrow is Xmas can you?
I have almost all my shopping completed. How far do you have to go to get
to town out there? We go down on the train every morning. Please answer
all my questions this time will you? I think we are going ice skating Sat.
but I am not sure. Well I guess I will close now as I am going to write to
cousin Donald as I received a letter from him yesterday.
Your friend,
K. Shirley Clary.

As you can see she is still clueless about why Theresa is not returning her calls and why they are not hanging out together. Do you think it will ever be explained? You will just have to keep visiting to find out.
I looked up the word crepe hanger. It is someone who enjoys funerals and attends as many as possible.
Another thing I looked up was that the world was suppose to end on Dec. 17, 1919.
A prediction by Albert Porta, a meteorologist from the University of Michigan who said an exceptionally large sun spot combined with the electro-magnetic pull of the planets Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune would bring about the end of the world.
I guess no matter what there will always be someone trying to get people all riled up saying the end of the world is coming soon.  Oh well life goes on.

Now here are some random pictures for your inspection.
This is a picture someone had cut out of the scrap book.
Logging has practically died out as one of Wisconsin's major industries, but this picture was taken when it flourished. It was sent to The Journal by Ben Westberg, 1028 N. Thirteenth st. who said that the camp was near Ogema, Wis. The photo was taken in 1895.

Just hanging around.
It looks like this could be Grandpa but I'm not sure. And what is he doing? Your guess is as good as mine.
I wonder it the object of this game is to pull each other off the one on the bottom.
 Ready! Aim! Don't shot! I'm unarmed!
I like this one. It's an action shot. The goat jumped over the wagon. Now you know.

Well that's it for now.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment