Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lucila: Dec.3, 1919 Chicago

Dear Friends,
How are you? I think it's going to start to warm up here.
This next letter I think is from maybe a sister of Theresa. If not a sister a very close friend. She is I think writing to let Grandpa know that Theresa was not mad at him. Well here is the letter.




In case it's hard to read here is what it says:
Howard Johnson
Dear Friend,
Theresa isn't sore
at you. She hasn't any
thing to be mad at.
She has been busy&
I guess hes didn't have
 time. She goes to her
 music lesson almost
every other day. Of else
she is at her girl
friends house in the
evening. She answered
your letter last night.
Theresa is going to Wilmette
to-night with her
music teacher & other
        II
pupils. We have not
very much snow here at
all. My mother put
the thermometer out
this morning (that was
about six o'clock & it
was 5 above zero. You
certainly have it cold out
there. I wouldn't like
to be there. Br-r-r-r.
We have fun with our
sleds. The snow is little
but it is pressed down
hard & swell to coast on.
We pull each other &
tumble in the snow
       III
I have a gay time. I
thought of having a sleigh
ride party. I am president
of a little club for the
girls my sister, Valeria &
I originated. We could
have the party from
the dues. We get three
cents from each girl every
week. If we were in
the country now probably
we could have a hay-
rack party. That's lots of
fun. I went to one & we
had the best time. We
each at the end of it
        IV
got a little bundle of hay
with a ribbon tied ar-
round it. The kids are
 calling me to come out be-
cause they are going to
have a ky-y. I don't know
how to spell it but it
is a long chain of sleds
& about 5 children pulling
it. There's about 15 boys &
fifteen girls out there now
& we're going to round some
more up. Best regards
Your friend,
Lucila

Well I hope that is her name.  She sounds like she is younger, but I could be wrong.
What she is trying to maybe explain with the sleds might be a version of crack the whip with sleds. We use to do crack the whip when we ice skated.  When she says gay time, it means she had lots of fun. Boy how meaning of some words can change over time.
Before I go to much farther with the letters, my grandpa name was Howard Johnson. Not the Hotel one just a Howard Johnson. So don't go saying it's the well known one where you may have stayed.

Now it's time for some more random pictures.
A wedding portrait.

Here are a couple of pictures that were also postcards.

I wish I knew what kind of class this was from 1914.
This is a post card of Rib Lake. Not sure when it was but it looks like there was a lot of lumber things going on, I think.

Here is just one more random picture.
Not sure who they are but there is a chance that the tall one in the back is Grandpa.
I think this picture could have been taken in the 19 teens or 1920's. What do you think?
Well that's about it for now.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment