Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Katheryn Clary: June 28, 1920 Chicago

Dear Friends,
How are you? I was getting kind of excited for spring until it snowed, again. The ground was almost bare. Everything was covered again.
Any way here is the next letter from Katheryn. To tell you the truth the post mark was hard to read but I think this is where it belonged in the order of things.

I know it's typed but in case it does not enlarge big enough here is what it says:

Dear Howard:
     I suppose you think I am a fine one for not answering
sooner but I have been very busy working over time every nite.
Do you hear from Theresa very often? They are selling their old
machine and are going to get a new one. Lucy is going to drive to
Hayward this summer so I suppose they will stop in your place.
How is your mother, I hope she is better than she was when I last
heard from you. Theresa wrote you a letter but I don't know if she
mailed it or not. Did you get it? They are tearing down our office
and we have not any work Saturday, Sunday, Monday some vacation
eh? Oh well we have to get one some time. I'm not coming up in the
machine this summer neither is Theresa we are going to take the
train, as we are working now and only get a week or two for a vacation.
Then I suppose I won't see you will I? Maybe you can come up to the
farm in Hayward eh? Well we have rather warm weather here now and I
am real glad because I cannot wait until we go swimming can you? Or
don't you swim? How is Elmer tell Him I will answer his letters when
he writes me a nice one. Our manager is on his vacation so that is
why I got a chance to write a letter during working hours. Friday
nite I am going to Elgin and spend Sat.Sun.&Mon. there gee I wish
I was going to stay a month. Are you still working at the mill or
where ever it was? When are you going to answer this? Pretty soon eh?

     Do you still go ice skating or roller skating?
Do you play with your toys yet. Which do you prefer a horse and
wagon or chu-chu-train? Both? Well I shall see that you get them both.
 
      So long until next time and write soon.

Your friend,
Kay Clary.
3818 N. Ashland Ave.
Chicago, Ill.

Nothing really new here. But it does look like she is working some place else.

I think this might be the building that she worked at in 1920. It's the Rookery in Chicago.
I wonder how he answered her questions.
Elmer sure does sound like he likes to write the wrong kind of letters Katheryn.
I wonder if there is a chance that Lucy is Theresa's mother and just might be Lucila.
A lot of things to wonder about.


Here are some random pictures your might enjoy.


Someone wrote on the back "about 1921". So if you are from Eagle River, Wis. and if the Hemlock Lodge is still there you will know what it looked like in 1921.

Another logging picture from about 1916.

It's hard to make out the studio but I think it was Chicago some where. Does anyone know what kind of uniform this is for?

Well that's about it for now.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment