Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Theresa Lambert; Aug. 25, 1920 Chicago

Dear Friends,
It's me again. I hope this post finds you doing well. I'm doing fine. But now it's to wet from always raining. It could be raining for the next week or even more.
Anyway here is the next letter from Theresa.

 As always here is what it says.

Dear Howard;
I received you letter and was very glad to
hear from you. We went to Benton Harbor Saturday
on the boat and Oh, Daddy the waves came in the
window so you can imagine how sick I was. The boys
that were with us were over the railings and the
girls were in a berth, so take my advice and never
cross the lake when its stormy or you'll come back
in pieces. When we got out there we had a dandy time
dancing and everything, But I'll tell the world
we came home in the train but that was almost as bad.
We came on the Pierre Marquett and it rocks almost

as bad. We pulled in about 2 A.M. Monday morning and
got up at six for work can you beat it. Well how
are you enjoying yourself pretty fair eh, , Lucy
sent me the pictures and there dandy. Well I guess
I'll close know hoping to hear from you soon.

Your friend
Theresa

P.S. Please excuse the stationary as I run short
and simply had to answer your letter.

I looked up Benton Harbor and found a picture that could have come from around that time.

I wonder if this was the kind of boat they took that weekend. If it was it must have been a heck of a storm.Or maybe they just got sea sick very easily. But It could not have been that bad if they still had a good time while they were there.
As for the train. She could have meant Pere Marquette.

I wonder if it looked something like this.

Theresa sure does like to use the phrase "Oh Daddy". I always thought it was something from the 50's and 60's not the 1920's. I wonder when that phrase started being used?
OK I looked it up. It was used in the 1920's. Although it was just Daddy. It meant a young woman's wealthy boyfriend or lover(sugar daddy). As far as I know grandpa was not really wealthy. But I guess that depends on what you think is wealthy. As for a lover, I don't think so, just friends.

I decided that since there has been so many wicked storms in the middle and southern part of the country I'd show you a picture from the scrap book.

A sudden cyclone swept over Miami Monday night, causing wide property damage and in-
juring 30 persons. A carnival was wrecked by the wind and this picture shows Joe Gowdy, one
of its employes, being helped from the wreckage.

See there was cyclones back then.

Now for a few other random pictures.

I'm not sure who this is or where the house was. At least I don't know who it is sitting in the doorway.
This is a picture of grandpa's home. It says on the back; Spring April 1939. It looks like mother nature was doing the same thing back then as she is doing now.
This the house where Uncle Thomas lived when I was young. It was originally the Johnson homestead. I think the ones in the picture are Grandpa and his brothers. 

Well that's all I have for now. But I will tell you that in the next letter Katheryn will give her version of the same event.
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy 

No comments:

Post a Comment