Friday, May 16, 2014

Cousin Walter Walin; Jul 25, 1920 Chicago

Dear Friends,
I hope this letter fines everyone in good health.
I've got for you the first letter from Grandpa's cousin Walter.I'm still trying to figure out his last name but I'm not sure what is, can you? My dad does not know the name.
I'm not sure if it starts with an H or a W. I could use a little help here.
Anyway here is what he had to say for himself.


It can be a little hard to read so this is what I'm pretty sure it says.

                                    Chicago, Ill.
                                    July 24, 1920
Dear Howard:
                 Well hows the
boy now aday. Fine I suppose.
Well I'm feeling pretty good
myself. Meant to write
to you a long time ago
but kept putting it off
until today. I made up
my mind to write. Hows
the old Ford suppose you worn
it out already. Heard R seen
had one too. Well it's a lot
cheaper riding the street cars
here.
   Suppose ma
told your ma that we are
buying a house here.

but don't know when we
can move in.
   What are you doing
now. Working at Mackey
spur yet?
   I worked for the
Western Electric a month and
a half but quit when pa got
the house as you see I
had to help him because he
couldn't find his way around.
   Do you ever hear from
those girls in Chi. If so give
me their addresses I lose
it. One of them live a
about a mile from here
but I don't know just where.
If you hear from them
tell them to call Kildare 5057
& ask for me. I'll take

'em out. Been out with
a couple Jazzy babes since
I came here But not many.
  Well news is pretty scarce
so must close. Write some
time & I'll answer right away
     Your cousin
     Walter
      4648 Warwick Ave.


Well Walter must have recently moved to Chicago. I wonder it he was from around here too.
He said he worked at Western Electric for about a month.

 
I wonder if this is where he worked?
he asked Grandpa if he was still working at Makey Spur. If you want to know what Mackey Spur is, here is a picture.
It was where they brought logs to pilled on to a train. It's not to far from the home place. There is still logging around that area to this day.

I wonder if his jazzy babes looked anything like this.


How about that phone number Kildare 5057?


I wonder if he passed the info on to Theresa or Katheryn.

Here is just a random picture.
This was taken at Drake Studio in Medford, Wis.

Well that's all I have time for now.
Have a great weekend.
Your friend,
Sandy

p.s. My dad says his last name is Walin.

No comments:

Post a Comment