Friday, May 2, 2014

Katheryn Clary; Sept. 2 1920 Chicago

Dear Friends,
I hope this letter finds you all well. I'm doing okay. I'm tired of not seeing the sun for so long but I think this weekend the sun just might show itself.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Katheryn.




As always here is what it say. (It scanned better then I thought and is easier to read on the computer.)

Chicago, Ill
Sept. 1, 1920

Dear Howard;
            Well I suppose
you think that I am
a peach for not writing
but you see I am very
busy now days "going
out". Why that consists
of shows, dances, parties,
beaches, walks, machine
riding etc.
Last Joshurday,
I mean the Sat. before
Theresa, Adeline, six boys
and myself went to
Benton Harbor and

were we sick tho! Oh!
No. everyone on the
boat was sick, they
were laying all over
the deck and hanging
over the railing, gee it
was something terrible
one of the boys had
to carry me into the
berth as I was too
sick to walk and
after awhile they all
 got sick too. Mrs. Cook
(one of the boys mothers)
was in the berth,
Adeline, Theresa, two
other girls and myself.

We left Chi. at 1:30 pm
and were to arrive
in the Harbor at 5:00 pm
but we arrived there
at 8:30 p.m. instead. of
5 bells. were we glad
 to get off of that thing
oh man everyone was
saying that they were
going to take the train
home, we looked like
a bunch of sewer
rats when we got
off. We went to a
dance up there and
had a peach of a time.
I danced every dance

talk about being tired
well I should say so.
  How is your Henry
My how I wish I
could have a ride
in it some time. Do
you think that you
would teach me how
to drive? Do you take
any girls out riding?
Have you got a steady
girl? If you have I
suppose you take
her out every nite eh?
How is your mother?
Also Tom, Elmer & you?
Well I have not much

else to say, only
that I was not
one bit angry at
you for not
printing those
pictures only that
I was a busy lady.
  So long for
the time being and
write soon
Always your
friend,
Katheryn


It sounds like they all had a ruff ride on that boat. But can you just picture all those boys hanging over the railing or laying on the deck.
There are a few words I was not sure of. Like of the first page. I'm still not sure what she meant to write after the word "last". Can anyone tell me what that word is? I promise to correct it or post a correction in the next post.
These two girls sure do like to keep busy. But they are teenagers, so what do you expect. Lots of energy.

The other day my niece had a baby boy. So in honor of this new addition to the family here are a few pictures of babies from a time gone by.

I now know that this a picture is from my Grandma's side of the family. I'm not sure exactly who he was or how he is related but I'm sure someone out there might know the name.
There is a name on the back that is really hard to read. I think it says Eddie Lawler. I'm not 100% sure that is what the last name is because it was written in pencil and it has faded.
Not sure who this is but I think I can read the studio and where it was taken.
 H.W. Donner in Kaukauna, Wis. I think. This picture looks like the baby  might be wearing a  christening gown.

Well that's all I have for now. I hope you drop by again real soon.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment