Friday, May 30, 2014

Cousin Walter Walin; Sept. 13, 1920 Chicago

Dear Friends,
It's me again. I hope you had a good week. Mine has been uneventful. Things outside are finally green. In the past week the leaves on the trees have finally popped out. I love seeing green.
I know enough about green, you want to see the next letter from Walter. So here it is.


It is a little hard to read so here is what I think it all says.

                    Chicago, Ill.
                    Sept. 13, 1920
Dear Howard:
      Read your
letter a few days ago and
was glad to get it. We have
been busy moving now the
last few days. Almost all thru
now. Seams good to be back home
again anyway.
   So you haven't seen
Alfred N. since July 5. Wonder
 where he is at. Maybe went
west again.
   Am starting work
tomorrow Autonlic Electric co.
working on "          " telephones. Am
going to try an office or something
later on but work any place

to get some doe. Isn't very
much money for a fellow
with no experience.
   Well I haven't had many
auto rides in Chicago as yet
4 or 5. I know a couple of
fellows around the corner with
fords. But now we've moved
out of that neighborhood so I
 suppose I'll have to find new 
friends out here.
   Wonder how Williams
like it up there. Are
Bloomstroms still there do you
know?
   Well news is scarce so
must close.
 Your Cousin,
Walley
Write soon.
1724 Belmont Ave.

Not a whole lot here. I tried to look up the place he got a job at but the closest I came to when I put in the Autonlic was a mention of auto-nalic electric circuit breakers. I don't think it's made any more.
Like he says news is scarce.
So here a few pictures I picked out for you to look at.

In honor of the beginning of field work time, here are a couple of scenes of past crop seasons.
In the first picture it looks like they are getting a new field ready for planting.
I think in the second picture the one on the tractor could be Grandpa. Because when I was growing up he was the one that always drove the tractor that pulled the baler. But I could be wrong.

I think this might be a picture of smoke from a fire or some very ominous storm clouds. What do you think?

Well that's about it for now. 
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy 

No comments:

Post a Comment