Friday, February 20, 2015

Anna Rainila: July 17, 1925 Eagle River, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you stayed warm this week. I sure hope this will be the last week of those kinds of temperatures. I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to spring.
Here is the next letter from Anna. The letter is dated April 14, 1925 But the envelope is dated July 17, 1925. I'm thinking she for some reason put the wrong date on the letter. Why? Who knows. But when you read the letter you will understand why I say this.





 As always here is what it says:

            April, 14, 1925
Dear friend Howard:-
   Received your welcome
letter and must answer before
I forget.
  Oh me! Oh my! Could it
be any warmer than it
is now, but heck we can
go in the lake always
when we feel too warm
we have the most fun
at the Lake. I am learning
to swim. I have my alarm
set for a quarter to six tomorrow
morning because we're all
going for a swim before
breakfast that what I
call rich(haha). Always
when we go to the Lake
there's about 10-15 &
even more there all
the time. I guess I'll go

to a summer resort every
summer & city for the
winter you might just
as well enjoy yourself
while your young. All of
us kids have a nice long
trip planned for tomorrow
tomorrow nite. With
a large Pierce Arrow.
So it don't take long.
The Chief at Everett's Resort
is going after his brother
& wants us to go along
he so we might just as
well go (haha) I guess
they have about 6 chiefs
at the "Everett's", we
only have 3 but that's
enough to listen to.
  I am Captain of Lights
here. Me oh my I must

always attend to them.
I mean electric lights
not kerosene. good grief no
like Westboro.
  We have pictures taken
almost every day. I'll
send one of one when I get
some. first good ones printed
if you don't show them
to everybody I mean nobody.
  My arm doesn't seem
to get any worse but
 not any better either of
times it is quite a bother
but I hope it will get
well soon but carrying
great big trays above
your head with one
hand is sure a peach
(haha) yet when I'm left
handed you know.

I'm glad you enjoying the
steam bath (haha)
One of the girls got $10.00
from a man for waiting
on him 3 days or so.
Talk about luck. Will
you see he was the
Mayor of Chi so no wonder.
A very nice family from
St. Louis Missouri was
talking about wanting
a girl to work for them
as maid when they go
back sounded as tho
she wanted me but don't
know yet. (haha) I'd
like to go with nice
respectable people for
the winter. it's nine
o'clock so I'll have to roll
in to bed so I can get up

early. So long
            From
              Morning Glory
P.S. That's my
new nick name
   (haha) another
is Happy Anna
     & Smiles
           Good grief
           What else


It sounds like working at this resort was a lot of fun. At that time wealthier people could spend a lot of their summers at a resort like this. I wonder how long the Mayor of Chicago stayed there that year?
Being the Captain of the Lights must have been a great honor. I wonder if at that time if some places in Westboro had Kerosene lights yet?
She sounds like she was a happy kind of girl to be a round. I hope she learned how to swim.
Me, a love the water. I spent most of my younger years around water. I'm a water girl.
She did mention some pictures she might have sent Grandpa. I may have already showed you some of those, maybe.
So in honor of water I found a few pictures involving water.

Not for sure who this is but, it kind of looks like my dad.

I can't make out who this is. I like his fish though.


When I first picked this picture I thought it was on a lake, but it's not. It's looks like it is someone working on a chimney and that is a field in the background.. Sorry. Blame my tired eyes for not looking at what I'm looking at. (haha)

Well that's about it for today.
Have a nice weekend and stay warm.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment