Friday, February 27, 2015

Mary Kauer: July 27, 1925 Rib Lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
I hope you had a good week. it looks like the weekend for me will be short, I have to work Saturday 6 hours. I just wish it could be warmer. This whole month has been below freezing and a lot below zero. I sure hope spring will spring a lot sooner then last year. Right now it doesn't look good.
Enough of my whining, here is the next letter from Mary:




As always here is what it says:

            Rib Lake Wis
             July, 27, 1925
Hello Howard:-
    Well, I don't know
wither you'll get this before
Wednesday or not but its
the best I can do. I got
your letter this morning
and and I'm answering it
this afternoon. That's pretty
good don't you think?
I realy ought to get a

prize of some kind for
it. But honest, I told
you I wouldn't answer
and this is the last
time that I will. Cro
(Cross my heart & gizzard)
We were to a picnic
at Harpers Monday and
I went swimming and
almost drowned. Wasn't it
to bad I didn't? Just think

what a lot of worries that
my mother would have
been rid of.
  But I didn't mean to
say that I went swimming.
I just practiced and went
out too far.
  Say, I'm anxious to
hear that dream you
had. I've got a dream book
so I'll have to look it
up and see whether it's

good or bad luck.
  oh say, I've got a girl
for your brother. I don't
mean that I've got her but
I know her real well and
she's a peach. In the first place
she's an awfully good girl, she's
nice looking, good natured
about 5ft. tall has brown hair
real blue eyes and she's about
18 yrs. old. But she's got a
brother that's always got an
eye on her.
                Mary

I wonder what kind of a dream Grandpa had and if Mary was able to interpret it?
I like the way she said,"Cross my heart and gizzard". most of us do the cross your heart part but this is the first time I've heard gizzard. She could be such a silly girl with an off the wall kind of humor.
I wonder if Uncle Thomas and this pretty girl ever got together?
I hope she was able to learn how to swim.
In honor of swimming I found a few pictures that have water in them.

This is a postcard of Copper Falls by Mellen Wis. Sold at the Mellen Drug Store. No idea what year.

This is a picture that was taken at Copper Falls. It could be Grandpa and Mary.

I can't make out who this is but I think they were camping by water. if you look behind him there is someone sitting next to the water.

Well that's about all I have for you today.
So stay warm, and enjoy your weekend. Mine will be a little shorter then I like.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment