Friday, July 24, 2015

Mary Kauer: April 17, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was quiet. Now that I do not have any practice to go to at night, I have no where to go.
Here is the next letter from Mary:




For those of you that find it hard to read, here is what it says.

                Rib Lake Wis
                April 17, 1926
Dear Howard:-
    I s'pose you were
swearing (blue streaks at
me when your car broke.
Just think, to have such
bad luck all on account
of a German. Oh have did
you have some other
reason for coming here?
But honest, I'm sorry you
had such bad luck and
I hope it doesn't cost a
lot or take so very
long to fix it again.
   But say what did
Frank Olson say about it?

Or doesn't he know
where you broke it?
Did you tell him you
were going to Westboro
to see your cousins?
  I don't know what kind
of a letter this will be as
the baby is sitting here
with me talking to her-
self. I guess she wants
to tell me to send you
her love. That's alright
isn't it? Because she's
the cutest kid that ever
lived.
  What did Thomas and
your mother say about
your car? I s'pose they

wish you'd quit burning
up your gas and losing
so much sleep. I hope you
don't break it again else
they'll all get sore at me.
Say, I can't think of
anything more to write. I
took the baby  down-
stairs just now and by
that I forgot all the
news that I know.
  Oh, I must tell you what
Mrs. H. said this noon.
She made some coffee-
cake today and it was
awfully good so Mr. H.
asked it I made it and
she said, "No, if Mary

could bake as good as
this, Howard would have
married her a long time
ago, but I guess he's afraid
he'll starve to death if he
gets her." That's a heck of
a compliment, isn't it?
But I guess it's so alright.
I mean that people would
starve to death if they
depended on my cooking.
Well, so long and good
luck next time you come
or aren't you coming any
more?
             M.K.
P.S. I have a bottle of wine for you
A regular hip flask.


I wonder how bad his car was broken. It happens. What ya going to do.
The baby she mentioned I think was one she helped looked after. I think it belonged to Mr. & Mrs. H.
It sounds like Mary was not a good cook and most people knew about it.
My Grandma, she loved to cook. She was known for her cakes. I remember she made wedding cakes for some people.

Well as always here are a few random pictures for you to look at.


I thought since she mentioned a baby I would share one of the baby portraits I have. No idea who this is. It was taken in Phillips, Wis by S.A. Johnson.

Since she talked about cooking I found a picture of some people enjoying what looks like a wedding cake.

This is a picture of Grandma. I'm not sure when it was taken.

Well that's about all I have for you this time. I hope you drop by again real soon for another letter and pictures from the past.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment