Friday, July 31, 2015

Anna: April 14, 1926 Milwaukee, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope this letter finds you all well. I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to the weekend. The week for me has been uneventful. Unfortunately the weekend looks to be the same. I just won't have to work.
Here is the next letter from Anna. It's been awhile since I've shown a letter from her.




 As always for you who find it hard to read here is what it says:

            Milwaukee, Wis.
                  April 14, 1926
Well old Pal-   It will
never happen again. I wanted
you to get a letter on your
birthday any way. I had meant
to get those mats for your car
but haven't gotten down town
for oh! so long. Freda must
have gotten your letter. Some
April fools joke. I've been up
side down for a week now.
Company and extra work.
Plenty of it the last week. The
laundress, Mrs. Mary and I
have some tatted around.
Ge! Howard you must
be hard hit. Hang on to Mary
she is a Jewel. I heard you

were engaged. Are you? Why
haven't you told your big sister?
Nothing would please me more.
I rec'id Toms letter yesterday
I am sorry your mother
is not feeling very well. It
certainly is to bad.
  This is the fourth letter
but I place them in envelopes
right away and want the names
taking each one separately so
no mistakes will be made.
Well I suppose in about
six more weeks I'll be leaving
here to go to Cambridge out by
the Lakes- Oh how I hate to go
because I know it will be
terribly lonesome. I think
I can come home for a week

or two during the summer
though and maybe get there once
in awhile. Its near Madison
about 60 miles from here.
I'm all alone home and it
is kind of quiet but very nice
for a change. I just felt like
being alone this afternoon.
All the orphans were
invited for supper to Sammers
Sun. night. We sure had fun.
We always do there. We and
Mrs. named orphans because
we are away from our folks.
and home. I'm "The kid"- oh
if we don't cut up.
Last night I was to girls
club. Oh if we didn't have
a stiff time. This woman has
her house just shinning

and its misery to go there.
I was there to a birthday
party last week with Hammer.
rev. H. was going to be dignified
but Mrs. H & I had the fun back
of the old ladies back. He forgot
his dignity there also.
We're going to have Y. P. social
next Friday night. Last time
it was so dull but hope this
one will be more exciting.
Nothing to write about
the weather now-  it is
ring cold to day. It has been
lonely & warm before-
  Take good care of Mary
but don't forget to write to me
some times. When will we go
to copper Falls again? lake many
home & I'll so along to Mankegen -as ever
                                                      Ann-
(Written along the first page)
Helsa your mother!


I know a number of words are wrong, sorry. I tried to guess at those the best I could.
Now for some of the things she mentioned. I'm not sure where she got the information that Grandpa and Mary might be engaged. I'm thinking that the two of them were the talk of the area when they hung out together and wrote letters to each other so much. But it was not meant to be.
When she talked about orphans I wonder if they were actual orphans or maybe children that were abandoned by their families. I guess I'll never know.
 I wonder what kind of fun they had that turned out to be undignified. Another part of history that has faded away never to be known again.
The word Hela is Swedish for healthfulness.

Here are few random pictures for you to look at.




No clue who any of these people are. Although I think there is a possibility that the middle one could have been taken by the home place, but I'm not sure.

Well that's all I have for you today.
Have a good weekend and don't forget to stop by again on Tuesday for another letter to Dear Howard.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment