Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Mary Kauer: April 5, 1926 Rib Lake Wis.

Hello Friends,
I hope this post finds you all well. My weekend was good. A little on the hottish side but not to bad.
Here is the next letter from Mary. It's 5 pages long. For someone who claims to not like writing letters she certainly can write.





For those of you that find it hard to read here is what it says:

                  Rib Lake Wis
                  April 5, 1926
Hello Howard:-
   I got your letter
before dinner and certainly
was surprised as I didn't
expect another one before
I answered. But that's
what I call a real surprise
cause you know I always
like to get letters but
I'm not so fond of writing
them myself.
I'm glad your mother
liked the Easter card I sent.
I didn't know whether I
should send one or not.
So you had to shovel

your road out again?
Well, that's good exercise
but I do feel sorry for you
anyhow Mrs. Hipke said
something about you com-
ing one lazy day and I
told her that you lived
off of the state road and
had to shovel quite a
ways. She said, "Gee he must
have had some hard work."
But then hard work is
good for Swedes, isn't it?
'Specialy  for big husky one
like you.
Joseph was to town with
the car yesterday. They didn't 
get stuck at all coming in
but going home we got stuck

twice and all had to get out
and push. Mary Schneider, went
out home with us so she had
to do her share and she
was all rigged up in summer
clothes.
Anton(my brother) was home from
Merrill for a few days. He
drove over with a team. He
said it took him six hours
to make 27 miles.
  Ella and Walter Schneider
were over yesterday evening and
Rose & her two brothers.
Anton k. and Ella walked home
and Joseph took me to town
with the team and Walter &
Mary went along and then he

took them home. It was 
half past two when I got here.
Still that was an hour
earlier than I usually get
home.
Say I saved the Herald
for you so if you remind
me of it I'll give it to you
unless you changed your
mind about coming.
Tom Enders of Medford
died last Friday. I guess I
told you that they used
to live neighbors to us. He
was about 20 years old. he
was operated on for
appendicitis and I guess
he never came out of the 
ether.

Say is that new family
that moved into your
neighborhood, Catholic?
because if they aren't
there would be a girl
just about the right age
for you. She's not so
old yet but she isn't
too young either.
  Well here's hoping
to see you Sat. or sooner.
I've got to go to work now.
                Love from Mary.

Like I said a long letter. It kind of sounds like there might have been a lot of snow at the time if they had to do shoveling. I wonder exactly how far Grandpa would have had to shovel. It is a distance from the home place to highway 13. It would have had to be an all day task.
Can you imagine taking 6 hours to travel 27 miles by horse and wagon in the snow?
But it sounds like Mary and the people she was with got their own exercise pushing a car.
It was sad to hear about the guy who died when he went into surgery for an appendicitis. Ether was a very hard thing to regulate back then. I hope I spelled his name right and got his age right. It was a little hard to read.

Well here a few random pictures for you to look at.

This is from 1958. I think my dad knows what happened here.

This is the picture of a train I wanted to show you last time. I finally found it. No idea for sure who is in the picture.

This is Kelvin Metzger, a classmate of my dads. I was told this is one of the few times he did not have a cowboy hat on.

Well that's all I have for you today.
Enjoy your week and drop by again for another letter to Dear Howard.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment