Friday, November 13, 2015

Mary Kauer: Nov. 4, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
It's once again the end of the week. My week was uneventful. The weekend will once again be shorter for me. I have to work on Saturday, yuck. But I will get through it, like I always do.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:



As always, for those who find it hard to read. Here is what it says:

           Rib Lake Wis
          Nov. 4, 1926
Dear Howard:-
  How did you get home?
I hope alright. And how
are you? I was pretty
tired this morning but
don't feel so bad now.
I want to sew an apron
tonite yet, I hope I don't
fall asleep over it. Did
you have to work very
hard today? I darned some

stockings this afternoon and
fell asleep on the job. I guess
I slept about a half an hour
with my head on the table.
It's easier sleeping with my
head on your shoulder but
I was so tired I couldn't wait
till Sunday.
  Have you seen Anna R.
yet? What has she to say
for herself. I hope she got
over her spell.
Did you tell Helen that we
were coming over Sunday? Or
did she say we should stay
at home.
 How's the honey? Is it as
sweet as the other was or
is it sour this time? Then it
would be like me.
Say, I don't know any news
today, I didn't see anyone and

Mary Schneider wasn't up
here so I guess I'll
quit and say good bye
till Sunday.
   Love from me
              guess who.
P.S. Say if you ever
want me to write a
real love letter you'll
have to hipnotize me
and then make me
write it

It sounds like she was doing a lot of sewing. She must have enjoyed using Grandpa as a pillow when ever she could. I wonder what Anna R. was up to. Was she up to no good or was she not feeling well? I think I would go with up to no good about something. What do you think?
I wonder if Grandpa was trying to get her to write a more affectionate letter or she thought she should but couldn't. I understand where she is coming from. I'm not comfortable at writing about my own feelings. She did spell  "hypnotize" wrong..
  I wonder if maybe Grandpa collected honey or maybe just found some. If he had hives, that would be another thing I never knew he did.
Reading all these letters do show me that there was more to Grandpa then what I knew about him growing up.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

I'm not sure who these people are. But it looks like it's from the 20's.

I think this is an old school picture. Maybe taken at the Sunnyside school.

This is Dennis Anderson. I wonder how old he was in this picture.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again for some more faded history.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment