Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Mary Kauer: May 16, 1927 Rib lake, Wis.

Hello friends,
How was your weekend? Mine was good until Sunday night. I had to try to go to bed earlier because I had to start two hour earlier again on Monday. I get a feeling I will be dealing with it for longer then I like. The life of a factory worker is exhausting.
Enough whining, here is the next letter from Mary.




 As always for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                          May 16, 1927
Hello Poor Little Dear:-
   Are you tired yet or are
you all rested up by this
time? It's a dirty shame
that anyone should get so
tired and I'm awfully sorry
that I couldn't make you
go home sooner, but that's
what you get when you don't
mind me. Kids really should
go to bed at 8 o'clock and
here you stayed up until 10.
Say Howard, I just had a
dandy idea. I know why I
write so scrawly, its because

I don't write enough. I ought to
to write to about 10 more fellows
and I bet my writing would
improve in a week. Could you
suggest someone to whom I
might write? Of course I could
write to John & Charlie but I
don't know of anyone else ex-
cept Walter Schneider.
Well, Agnes and I decided
that we would join that
Matrimonial  club just as
soon as we saved a dollar,
that's what it costs to join.
And she said if she wrote to
a fellow and he'd want to
come and see her she'd run
and never stop. I think I'd

hide in some cellar where they
have lots of eats and stay
there until he was gone. I
don't see how anyone could
fall in love by writing letters,
do you? Say Howard, you ought
to join that, you are pretty
good at writing letters.
  Say, you asked me what I
tho't of Ed's funeral, everyone
must think well of him. But
it doesn't seem possible that
it was Ed. To think that
he should come home like
that. I guess we don't have
to feel sorry for him tho, he
is perhaps lots happier and

better off than we are but
it's hard to think of it that
way. Especially for his family.
I did not see Luella and
Mary Schneider said she didn't
either, but she said, I feel
sorry for her if she was going
with him yet.
  We did not get in time to go to
the house as there was a car
stuck near James Lake and then
Joe turned and went around 102.
How are the pictures you took
or ac aren't they finished yet?
Well, I must close as it's getting
late and I want to mail this
yet.            Love from Me.

I wonder if her and Agnes saved that dollar and joined the Matrimonial Club? I think I have shown you a couple of those kinds of clubs. I think Grandpa joined at least one because of some of the letters he will receive in the future from women from places I don't think he ever went to. A number of those letter start in 1928.
As for her comments about Ed's funeral, I wonder what she meant  when she said he might be lots happier. Had he been sick or was there another reason she said this.
So many questions that will never be answered.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

This was taken on a labor day. No idea who they are or when it was taken.

This is one that was taken on someones class trip. No idea who the guy is.

Not sure who this little guy is. It could be a cousin or one of the boys.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again soon for some more faded history.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment