Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Mary Kauer: May 5, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
It's the beginning of another week. And this one is not starting off very well for me. I had to start two hours earlier on Monday. I am no fan of getting up at a little after 2 am and start work before 4 am. That day was a very frustrating day for me. So I was a little on the tired side Monday.
Enough of my whining, here is the next letter from Mary.




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                         Tuesday Eve.
Dear Howard:-
  I got your letter this morning
and was kind of surprised to get
one so soon.
  Mrs. Hipke came this morning
and Pete left last nite for Mil-
waukee so we were all mixed
up around here. Clara took
Pete to Chelsea last nite and
went to get Mrs. H. at 5 this morning.
  I was to Fuchs party Sunday
and had a real good time. In the
afternoon we were at Kauers and
took some pictures. John & his
brother Felix were there but they
said the roads towards Merrill
are pretty rough yet John said
if he took a couple of trips like
that his car would be gone. It's

over 30 miles to they're home
from Kauer's. Leonard Thums, George
and Mary Daubert and Norman Kurtzke
were at Kauer's too in the afternoon.
That's a regular community hall.
Joseph & Pete Lamberty were to
Marshfield Sunday to see some
fellow who got hurt in camp and
is in the hospital now.
 Well this is Wednesday eve.
and my letter isn't finished yet.
I wanted to send it out before
six but then the kids came
up for their supper so I didn't
get around to it.
  Say Howard, you wanted to
know if you could come Sunday,
gee, I wish you wouldn't. There
is no party or anything else
going on but ma scolded
me again when she heard you
were here Sat.. She says

if we don't get married I should
quit and Howard I can't get
married. I know you think
I'm hard but I can't help it. If
I'd marry you and feel the way
I do I certainly wouldn't make
you very happy, would I? I'm
not in love with anyone else
but I don't want to settle down
and I like to dance and have
a good time and that is
something too that you don't
care very much about.
I know you love me more
than anybody else ever did
or ever will I guess. And
Howard I pray every day that
I will be able to marry you or
that you will find some else
you will like. So you see I'm
not quite as bad as you think

I am. So that's why I wish you
wouldn't come, at least not so
often. I'd always have a row
with ma & pa.
  Say Howard burn this
letter will you? Please do
and don't be too sore at
me. I feel foolish writing
all this stuff but but when
you are here we generally have
a scrap and then I'm mad
and don't care what I say.
                        Mary

I always have to giggle a little when someone tells Grandpa "To burn this letter". Grandpa saved a lot of things. If he had not saved these letters, this blog would not exist.
In this letter she is trying to get Grandpa to understand they were not meant to be together. She was a party girl who liked to dance. He was not a dancer, that I know. He was looking for a wife who would keep house and raise his children.
I wonder who the fellow was that got hurt at camp and how bad was he that he ended up in Marshfield. Even back then Marshfield had a go to hospital.
As for the roads leading to Merrill, today they are paved. Back then they were not as well cared for as they are today.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

No idea who this is or when it was taken.

Part of this picture was torn off. There are names on the back. This is Grandpa and the girl is I think Hattie (Lundstrom) Hippa. At least that's what is written on the back. I think her first name Hattie, part of it was torn off. No idea when it was taken.

 
Washington Monument. Taken during someones class trip.

Well, that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again for some more Faded History.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment