Friday, May 20, 2016

Helen Balusik: Feb. 19, 1928 Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
The weekend is finally here. The weather is finally feeling like spring once again. I mentioned last time that my broth-in-law was in the hospital with meningitis. He is still there and will be for a few more days. its slow go but little by little he will be back to normal. In the mean time my husband has to help with the chores. Milking in the morning and right now planting some of the fields that need planting. He is getting a little time off from his job to help as much as he can. But he will not get the full time off he needs so some days he will be burning the candle at both ends.
Anyway, here is the first letter from a new girl, Helen Balusik:

As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what is says:

                               Evanston, Ill
                               Feb 18-28
Dear Mr Johnson:
     I have received the
list of members in Mrs. Brawns
Club and as I was looking
over them I saw your name
there and seeing I know Ogema
quite well I thought I would
write.
  My home town is Phillips, Wis
so that isn't far from where
you live.
  I don't think its necessary to
give my description, for I presume
Mrs. Brawn has sent it to you.
  I will write more next
time if you answer.
  Would like to hear from you
and please send pictures of your-
self I will have one for you.
                 Sincerely,
                               Helen Balusik
                              1414 Hinman Ave.
     As you can see this is a new person. There are a number of letter from her.
Mrs. Brawns Club must have been a place for people to meet other people looking for a spouse.

Here are two viewer cards from a new series. It follows a couple from courting to marriage.

 1. The Bashful Lover Makes His First Call.

 2. Second Call. Improvement on Call No. 1.

In the first one they call him a Bashful Lover. The look on his face tells me something very different. How about you? And the look on her face and body language tells me if she could she would give him the what for if he made the wrong move.

Notice the woman in the second one. The chaperon.
Could you imagine if this was the way everyone went about dating today. I know some people do set their ways based on this kind of matching up. This is when respect and manners mattered. At least on the surface.


Here is a random picture for you to look at.

I do not know who this is or when it was taken. The picture is dark. I did my best to kind of lighten it up so you could see the girl.

Well that's about all I have for you today.
I hope you have a good weekend, mine will be mostly at home because the husband has to help with field work and milking cows for his brother. Who is home now. But will he listen to the doctors advice to step back from things for a while.
I hope you come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment