Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Mary Kauer: Feb. 7, 1928 Wausau, Wis.

Hello Friends,
How was your weekend? It was toooo cold here for me. Just when I thought I could put my warmer jackets away it gets cold again. This week is once again suppose to get warmer as the week go on. One thing my husband did this weekend was by four more little calves. We now have a total of 9. Maybe some time I'll take a picture of all of them and show them to you.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:




As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                          Wausau, Wis.
                          Feb. 6, 1928
Hello Howard:-
  I just wanted to ask you
how many proposals you've
had already. I happened to think
of leap year as I was writing
the date. You needn't try to
dodge when they propose
because you'll be caught one
way or the other. If you
say no, you've got to buy a
silk dress, and if you say yes
you've got to keep on buying
them the rest of your life.
So I think you are up against
it right.
I s'pose by this time your
hand is all healed up unless
someone threw another
rolling pin at you. And that
would be a shame because I
think one rolling pin a year

is enough, don't you?
  How is your cook? You said
last time that she had just
came that day.
And you are you still looking
for a job as a cook? You said
you had to eat your own cook-
ing for two weeks and are
still alive. That's pretty fair
your almost as good at
cooking as I am. I don't get
sick either when I eat my
own cooking, but everyone else
that eats it, does. That's why
I gave it up as a bad job.
Say, I told you that Alex
Messal & Florence Vlach were
married, didn't I? That was
before Xmas already so I guess
you would know it by this
time.
They are staying at Messal's.

You know Alex's cousin works
here, too, and she was so
darned surprised she couldn't
get over it. She said he's been
looking for a girl so long. Her
name (Alex cousin) was Wanda Schacht before
she was married, you got an
introduction to her once at a
party at Schacht's. She asked you
whether you knew Beulah Anderson.
Are you still having as many
party's as you had all winter?
Or are you going to be good
and not have any during Lent?
Gee, I'm glad you're having such
a good time, now maybe you
won't think I was crazy be-
cause I liked to go to parties
so well.
Say Howard, I wish you could
have seen my roommate. She
isn't with me now as she is
doing light house keeping.

She was good to get along
with and I liked her real well
after I got acquainted with
her. But gosh is she ever bash-
ful and scared stiff of men.
I don't know whether I should
laugh at her or get sore some-
times.
I'm back at my old job again.
I had a wimpies with the house-
keeper because I wasn't strict
enough with the girls so I told
her to get another inspectress.
But oh gosh it was hard the first
few days, I was always so tired
I just ached all over. I t'hot I
was going to die pretty soon.
Say Howard gosh darn you if
you don't tell me who told
you all that junk last
summer I'm going to do some-
thing awful to you. I don't know
just what but you'll be sorry you
didn't tell me. So long          Me


At least she explained how Grandpa hurt his hand. I suppose she is the one who throw it. I wonder what they fought about all the time. I also wonder what kind things someone told Grandpa about her that got her so steamed. Did he ever tell her who it was?
It sounds like Grandpa was having someone come in and cook. But it sounds like Grandpa could kind of cook too. I'm trying to remember if I ever saw him do any cooking when I was growing up. Right now I  don't think so. I wonder if his mother was not up to cooking at that time.
It sounds like Grandpa was a party animal at that time. I wonder what kind of parties he had?
I guess Mary was not a leader kind of person since she gave up the insprectress job. Some people  are just not good at being a leader and some are.


Here are the last two viewer cards for the Earthquake of 1906.

 24. Refugees' camp in Jefferson Square.
25. Ferry landing from Oakland.

I wonder how long people had to stay in the camps.
This is what it looks like today.
Image result for jefferson square san francisco


Looking on the internet I think I found a picture of the Ferry terminal of San Francisco today.

 Image result for ferry landing  san francisco


Here is a random picture for you to look at:

Not sure exactly who this is but I have an idea.

Well, that's about all I have to say except that I learned that my husbands younger brother is in the hospital with meningitis. Not sure how he got it or how he is doing. He can not have visitors for a few days. I hope he will get better soon.
I hope you will come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment