Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Helen Balusik: Feb. 27, 1927 Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a nice weekend.Mine was nice and warm. Although, my husband had spent the whole weekend doing field work for his brother. I didn't see much of him all weekend and when I did he was very crabby. But who could blame him. I hope my brother-in-in-law is able to get better soon. But I already know that recovering from something like meningitis takes a long time to get over. So I will just have to grin and bare things for the time being.
Enough of my whining, here is the next letter from Helen:


As always, for those that find it hard to read here is what it says:

                     Evanston, Ill.
                    Sunday Feb 26-
Dear Mr. Johnson:
    I was pleased with your
letter and also with the picture.
I will try & describe myself but
am enclosing a picture and
that will give you a better
idea what I look like.
  I am twenty-two years old-
brown hair & eyes. Five feet three
inches a hundred and thirty-five
pounds.
 I will send your picture back
but I'll wait till you send me
another one of yourself.
  Evanston is a pretty place
in the summer time only about
six miles out of Chicago also
near the Michigan lake about
four blocks east of here.
But I love dear old
Wisconsin I guess because
I was raised there

I love to go skating very much
and also love music but
many of the other amusements
I do not care about.
My mother also has left us
five years ago but my father
still is out on the farm.
I will write more next
time if you answer.
  Will be looking for
a letter but if you do not
care to correspond please return
letter & picture back.
                 Sincerely,
                      Helen D. Balusik
                     1414 Ginman Ave
                      Evanston, Ill.

There was no picture with this letter. It could be mixed up with all of the other old pictures. Or maybe he lost it some where along the way. Maybe another one will show up in another letter of hers somewhere in the future.
As for describing her self, she sounds like she is about my size. I don't know if most women would include their weight. I don't think I would, would you?
Now I know where Evanston is located.
In 1920 the population was 37,234. In 1930 the population was 63,338. Boy that was a jump in 10 years. Today the population, or at least in 2014, it was 75,658.
I guess it grew slower after the 1930's.

Here are two more viewer cards from the Courtship and marriage of a couple.

 3. Third Call. Mother Wants to know if He is Coming.
4. Waiting for him.

The things that at colored do pop out more.
In the first one, to me it looks like the mother is giving him a warning or reading him the riot act. Notice the girl peeking out from behind the curtain.
The second one she is just waiting for him to show up. Dreaming about the possibilities.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

No idea who this is or when it was taken.

Well, before I go I would like to tell you something. I recently found out some people could not comment on this blog. I want to say, I'm sorry. I didn't know. I think I may have fixed it. So if anyone wants to leave a comment to try it out, please do.

That's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment