Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Nellie Currier: March 8, 1928 Manchester, N.H.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. I know a lot of places were very wet, including around here. But Monday was a drier day, finally. We were able to get a few things done outside.
Anyway, here is the first letter of a new person. Her name is Nellie Currier:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                485 Lake Shore Rd.
               Manchester N.H.
              3/6/28.
Dear Mr. Johnson:-
    Your name was
sent to me by Mrs. Braun.
I am seventeen years old.
I have medium brown hair,
and blue eyes. I am five feet
four inches tall. I have no
photo of myself just at
the present but hope to get
some before long, and if
you wish to correspond with

                   2
me I would be more than
glad to send you one as soon
as I have some taken. I
am closing and hope to
hear from you soon.
                     I am
            Miss Nellie Currier
            485 Lake Shore Rd
            Manchester
                          N.H.
P.S. Please excuse my
writing because it is almost
bedtime 11.30 P.M.
                      Good night.

Just a brief introduction. She sounds like a nice a girl. At this time I think Grandpa was almost 28 years old. Now a days, it would be very frowned upon for a 17 year old girl trying to hook up with someone ten years older then she was. Times have changed, some what.
There will be some more letters from her. Hopefully, if I remember right, there is a picture of her in one of them.
It looks like Grandpa was a member of Mrs. Braun's.

Here are the next two viewer cards in the courtship and marriage set:

 7. A Quarter to Two in the Morning.
 8. The Proposal.

I like this scene in number seven, where the father is trying to kick him out with his knee.
And the traditional proposal. Will she say yes or will she say no?

Now here is a random picture for you to look at.

This was taken by someones class trip to D.C.


Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again really soon for more fading history.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment