Friday, September 23, 2016

Helen Balusik: June 3, 1928 Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
If you live in Wisconsin, it's been a very wet week. If this keep happening this winter, we will be buried. Oh well what can you do.
Here is the next letter from Helen:



As always, for those who find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                      Evanston, Ill.
                         June 3-28
Dear Howard:
  Received yours here some
time ago and so will
take the pleasure of answering
it this afternoon seeing I
am off of duty until six o'clock
then I have to go back &
work an hour & then I
am free for the evening.
My, it sure is grand
here lately- the weather
couldn't be any nicer not
too hot or too cold. I think
June is such pretty month
don't you?
  Well, did you have to
work Decoration Day? We
were all off for the day & so
some of us went to a
amusement part where
they have so many exciting
rides and different things
going on. Sure had a good
time- But the next day
felt so tired & sleepy-
So after all you feel better

when you work right along
instead of getting a holiday.
In the morning the band
played here in the park
only about half a block
away. Then they Marched to
the cemetery.
Well Anna & Frank Novy
are leaving for home
this month with their car.
I could have planned to go
with them but I think I'm
staying awhile longer.
But I sure am anxious to
get back home again it
seems such a long time
ago since I left- Well it is
almost ten months.
I'm surprised you liked
my pictures- I didn't think
they were so good- But I
wish you wouldn't keep
it by the "American beauties because
there's no comparison to between
the two - I'll have to give you
a black eye for that some
time (Ha Ha).
My sister & brother go fishing

             2
quite a bit at home. They sure
make me jealous when
they speak of going fishing &
pulling the trout out. I suppose
when I get there fishing will
be all over with.
  Last Sunday a girl friend
of mine & myself we went
to the park took some
pictures ( but didn't turn out good)
then we watched the motor
boats they have several on
the lake for the purpose of
taking whoever wants a
ride for certain price. I was
wishing her & I could have gone
but she wasn't brave
enough to go I guess. Maybe
I would have been afraid
after I would have gone.
Everybody seems to be
taking naps this afternoon
so quiet everywhere could
hear a mouse go by if she did.
Well Howard, I think I
shall sign off for this time

not make you tired reading
this junk.
Won't be long & I will be
pulling through Ogema
wish you lived near
the tracks so I could wave
to you when I go by-
Hoping to get another of
your nice letters you sure
can write interesting.
   Well bye bye
           Sincerely  Helen

I wonder what pictures she sent to him. They were not with this letter. Maybe I have already shown them to you.
I wonder when she finally go home to Phillips? Maybe soon.
I wonder if she was able to go fishing when she got home.
It sounds like she enjoyed Decoration Day.
I wonder what kind of ride they had at the amusement park.
I wonder how fast the motor boats went back then.
So many questions that may never get answered. Well, I suppose if I really had the time I could research some of these things on the internet.
I do plan on putting all these letters together in a better way someday. Including a little research on somethings. I hope that some day I will be able to put them together in book form and share it with who ever is interested.

Anyway, here are two more viewer cards from the "Scene's From New York" set:

 Steamship Docks above Brooklyn Bridge.
Wall Street and Trinity Church.

The first card is very popular. I looked it up and found a number of different places you can even buy it. It might cost you around $7.99 or less that I found. I was trying to find a similar angle but since I don't know anything about New York I decide not to try and find a modern view of the same angle.

As for the second picture, here what it looks like today:
Image result for Wall street and trinity church

It looks like it has not changed much over the years.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

Clement (my dad) teaching Patty (my mom) how to drive tractor
Summer 1959

I don't think mom ever got the hang of driving a tractor.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend.
And don't forget to drop by for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment