Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Helen Balusik: May 25, 1928 Evanston Ill.

Dear Friends,
Another weekend gone. I hope you had a good one. Mine was good. No drama for me.
The reason I was late last time was that the husband and I had gone a little two day trip to Door county. We had not been there in over 15 years. Boy has that place changed. There is a lot to see. I like the goats on top of a restaurant. Maybe I'll share the picture at the end of this post.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:






As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Thursday evening
Dearest Howard:
  Received your nice
letter the other day & sure
am pleased to get
them you can be sure!
Well how is Howard,
anyhow, now I hope
you are not working
too hard. I sure am
kept busy these spring
days. We usually have
twenty-five people in
for supper every nite
so you see that means
work.
We had a nice shower
this evening I was

            2
invited to a party but
it scared me out so I
stayed at home writing
good idea eh?
I suppose you are
dreaming by this time
for its after ten all
ready.
My, but isn't spring
going by fast - soon
is June again the
month of Roses, oh
boy isn't it grand to
be alive sometimes
I mean always.
Won't be long & I will
have to be packing
up for home sweet

             3
home again. Don't the
years roll by fast after
you get to be over twenty
why a year seems like
a month.
Well next week is
decoration Day. Do you
celebrate? We get off
that day so we sure
are going to celebrate,
because a holiday doesn't
come very often. They
are suppose to have
a big parade here
so I must go & see
that if nothing else.
Last year I was home
for Decoration Day - my

              4
brother & I had a good
old time riding around
in his roadster- Then
he picked up his girl
& the three of us went
for a long drive. We
could have drove to
Ogema - (ha Ha) eh
Howard- if I would
have known you are
there - we wouldn't
have missed it.
We girls have bunches
of lilacs up here in
our room my, if they
don't smell grand, I'll
tell the world. I do
love them anyhow, don't you?

              5
            continued
I believe I am on
the last sheet of my
paper so I see where
I have to get more
if I want to write
any more letters, Don't
you think? so?
  well Howard, are you
planting your garden
yet? Hows the straw-
berries have any short
cakes by now? We
have short cakes here
very often oh, and does
it tastes good with a
lot of berries on it
don't you like em??
  I guess I will have

to say good nite & go
to bed-
Hoping you are a good
boy always.
Write soon.
     I remain
          As Ever
             Your Pal
              Helen x
P.S.
Please excuse
my scratching &
mistakes, won't you?
And how do you like
the snaps? Burn
them up if you don't
want them-

I wonder what kind of restaurant she worked in that didn't have many people for supper. Or maybe that was a lot at that time. Maybe it was a very formal place that served seven course meals. Those kind of meals take a long to to get through, or so I hear. I've never had a chance to experience that kind of supper. Maybe some day.
I hope everyone had a good Decoration Day and that the weather was  just right for the parade.
I wonder what her brothers roadster looked like?
Maybe something like this one:
 Image result for 1926 roadster

I wonder what kind of snaps she sent him. Did he like them or did he burn them? The world will never know.

Here are two cards from a new set of Viewer cards. I'm calling this set, Scenes from New York:

 The Broadway Squad, New York's Mounted Police.
A Detail of New York's Finest Going on Duty.

I'm not sure what year this is from. Whenever I can I might try to find pictures of the same area so I can compare the changes that have happened.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

On the back someone wrote: Manhattan Island taken
                                              from ferry on the way
                                               to the Statue of Liberty

I thought with the theme of Decoration Day and New York, this was a good fit to put here. it was taken during someones senior class trip.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment