Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Mary Mattingly: May 18, 1928 Springfield, Ky.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend. Mine was good. No drama. Just the way I like it. Got together with family on Saturday at the family cabin. It was just what I needed. The best part of the whole weekend, it didn't rain here for once. But I think that is about to change.Time to batten down the hatches, again.
Here is the next letter from Mary Mattingly:



 Her letters are always more challenging, so as always for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

          '1'
                Springfield Ky
                   May 17 1928
Dear Friend Howard
Just got your nice letter
was sure glad to hear
from you and hear you was
having some good weather
it is raining hear
to day
We was needing rain
real bad I have
a pretty garden but
it was needing rain
What kind of grain
do you sow
yes I will send you
a picture as soon as
I get them What I
had made was not
any good but I am

       '2'
to have some more
made in a few days
and I will send you one
as soon as I get them
and I will be sure
glad to get one of
you on your farm
don't for get me when
you have them made
yes it would be nice
if you had a sister
to keep house for
you
do you have lots of fruit
in your county
there is a nice praslict (?)
after fruit here now
if nothing baking to it
for I know you enjoy
your radio they are nice

        '3'
I wish had one it would
be so much company
I don't guess you ever
get lonesome
do you live close to
the road I don't
live close to the
road that is why
I get so lonesome
don't you get mad
at me because
I haven't sent you
a picture I am
going to as soon as
I can get some
made that is good
So I will close looking
to hear from you again
soon from a
              Friend Mary.

I hope I got it right. There was that one word I was not sure about what it could be. That is why the ? mark behind it. I corrected as many of the words as I could. But I'm sure I still got some of them wrong.
Other wise not to much here. Just promising to send a picture as soon as she gets a good one. And mentioning the weather. Not sure how many more letter from her there are or if she ever did send a picture.

Here are two more viewer cards. These are just a few single ones. There might have been a larger set at one time. Maybe one of my other relatives have the rest.


 The funeral of President McKinley Receiving vault in Westlawn Cemetery, Canton Ohio U.S.A.
The second one is what is written on the back. "The Sermon- Concluded."
I'm sure there was more to this set but I'm not sure what happened to them.

 Ghastly Glimpse of Wounded Belgians in Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium.
The Horror of War- Ghastly Glimpse of Wounded.
This is what is written on the back of this one. I think this is from WWI.
A you can see this one belonged to a larger set.

Here is a random picture for you to look at.

No idea who this is or when it was taken.
Just another reminder to you, always put names on the back of a picture so that generations form now people will at least now who it was in the picture.

Well, that's about all I have for you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment