Friday, September 9, 2016

Nellie Currier: May 23, 1928 Manchester, N.H.

Dear Friends,
I hope you were able to stay dry this week. At least it was a little better on Thursday. I just hope the weekend will be on the dryer side. I'm come close to start building an ark as are many other people thinking about.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Nellie:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

What did                           485 Lake Shore Road
N.C.J.S.G.D.T.W.            Manchester
mean?                                            N.H.
                                          5/22/28
Dear Howard:-
     I got you nice
long letter this morn-
ing and sure was more
than glad to hear from you.
We are having some poor
weather over here in Manchester
today but hope it doesn't
stay this way as I think
a week of it to a time is
plenty. I am glad you
are having some good

             2.
weather out there. If
you are sure you will not
get blind I will send
you a poem of mine but
just one to a time as I
do not know many. How
many horses & cattle &
hens & roosters & pigs & ducks
& geese & Ganders have you
got Howard. Ha, Ha, Ha. It
must be a busy job to
keep two farms going all
the time. Gee, Howard, I

            3.
wouldn't be able to go way
out there with no money
and with out my pal
Hazel. No I am not mad
but maybe you are now,
because you might just
a well say a thing as
feel or think it. Ha, Ha. I
have an idea a "Swede"
is just as good as any-
one else. Did you mean
your & Tomy's brook? Ha, Ha.
I can't seem to think of
anything else to say
tonight so I will have

              4.
to ring off.
Here is my poem:-
There was an old codger from
Washington Pier,
Who went swimming and
diving from Bristol last year.
He could swim like a fish,
and could dive like a rock.
And he amazed all the ladies
by shaking his ---- at
the copers who stood on
the pier,
The very same copers that
stood there last yr.
Now this very same codger
Had a daughter so dear,
Who went swimming & diving from Wash. Pier.
She could swim like a fish and dive
like a duck.
And she showed by here movements
she knew how to ---- in water way
up to her chin,
The very same water that others pissed in.
From - Nellie C.           Ha Ha- How's it

I'm beginning to think she had a very wicked kind of humor. I wonder what kind of jokes Grandpa told her?
I did fix a few of the words in the poem. I just hope that I did it right.
I think I would have loved to have met her. I bet she was a very interesting person as she grew older. But then again she was only a teenager and I know how much people can change over time.

Here are two more viewer cards.  I think they are from WWI.

 Salvation Army Hut, Always at the Front with Our Doughboys, Rhine Frontier
 Salvation Army Hut
 Guards of the Republic- In Palace of Versailles During Treating Signing
Guards of the Republic, Palace of Versailles.

These are the last two from this group that I have. I wish there was more of them but I do have a number of other groups I will be sharing with you.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:
This is a friend of one of my uncles when he was in the service.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment