Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Mary Mattingly: June 7, 1928 Springfield Ky.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good as usual, no drama for me anyway. So I guess I'll get to the letter right away.
It is a very hard letter to read. The writing is very faded or Mary did not write it very dark. So here it is:


As always, for those that find it hard to read here it is:

                Willisberg Ky.
                June 3 1928
Dear Friend Howard I take
the pleasure in answering your
letter I got the other day
was glad to hear from you
I have been so busy I hadn't
had time to answer it is raining
here now I guess I will have to
sit after tomorrow I guess
you don't raise any tobacco
We raise corn and tobacco wheat
oats in garden I don't like
tobacco much Maybe I will
have a picture to send

           2
you in my next letter I guess
you are going to get it
I had some taken but they
wasn't good no I haven't any
car I am working for one but
I haven't got it me I don't
but close to the motion
it is awful don't hear this spring
But there is right small size
litter akkler hear them to
any time to get lonesome
with any of is me  I don't
Guess so I will close it
is getting late looking to hear
from you from Mary Mattingly

I know I got a lot of the words wrong, so I want to say I'm sorry. Between the bad spelling and light writing it was very hard to figure out what she was trying to say.
I don't know if she really meant tobacco or not but it kind of made sense. Maybe someone else will be able to figure it out better then I did.
The post mark was Springfield Ky.

Anyway, here are two more cards from "The scenes from New York " set:

 The Famous Bowery as it is today.
 
 Market under East River Bridge.

Like I've told you I know nothing about New York at all.
I looked up the famous Bowery because I wanted to know what it looks like today.
I think this is an image of maybe the same area:
Bowery, looking north from Houston Street.jpg

I got the image from Wikipedia.
I'd say, boy has it changed.

As for the scene of the market under the East River Bridge, I don't think it looks anything like the one in the old viewer.

Image result for market under east river bridge

I'm not sure if this a picture that could have been taken in the same area or not. I don't think they have the kind of markets today as they use to.

Here is a random picture for you to look at.

I'm not sure if I have shown you this one before or not. I do not have any idea who this is or when it was taken.

Well, that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment