Friday, September 2, 2016

Nellie Currier: May 15, 1928 Manchester, N.H.

Dear Friends,
I don't know about you but I am looking forward for the holiday weekend.
This next letter from Nellie is very long so here it is:







As always, for those that find it hard to read,here is what it says:

     480 Lake Shore Rd.
      Manchester, N.H.
        5/15/28
Dear Howard:-
   I am trying to
answer your letter which I
am always more than
glad to get. We are having
some peachie weather
up here. I am writing
this letter to you out of
doors. Gee, I hope Tomy's
well doesn't fall in on him
because it would make

                2.
another big job for you. You
didn't say whether the horse
you were with belonged to you
or Tomy. I am French & American
but I don't know what Hazel is.
I am living on the same
srteet I was born on. I am
sending you a few jokes but
are not very good. I am not
sending you the terrible ones
for fear they would blind
you on reading them and
I would want to make you
blind because you would be
able to see your future wife.
I hope you found your jokes
because I am anxious to see
them. Yes I guess every body
has a sweet-tooth. Ha, Ha. I
know I have. I got a nice big
box of chocolates today and
wish you were here to help me
eat them. S.Y.i.M.D.T.N. means "see you
in my dreams to-nite." ans
D.G.S.O.M. means "don't get scared
of me," & S.W.A.S.K.T.A.F.F.A.F. means
"sealed with all sweet kisses to a

                  3.
friend from a friend." now don't
they look easy? They do to me Ha,Ha
Hazel wouldn't dare to go way
out there because she said her
mother is getting old now
and she feels as tho she had
better stay 'round near home.
Don't let Tomy get mad at
her will you Howard because
she sure is a good pal. I don't
blame Tomy for asking so nice
for Hazel's letter to him. Gee,
Howard this pencil is pretty

                  4.
poor to write with. The lead
keeps slipping out of it and
gets my goat.
Well here are some jokes
but are not very good, would
send some better ones only for
what I said before. Ha,Ha.
1. While collecting the eggs in
the barn Dorothy found a soft
shelled egg. dady came out
he went to put the egg in with
the rest when Dorothy called
out," Don't take that egg, it isn't
finished yet. The hen hasn't laid
the hard part.
2. Why do girls prefer to wear
silk stockings when they are
in a hurry?
(ans)- Because there's usually a "run"
in them.
3. Why would birds make
poor business people?
(ans)- They present their bills, but
they are never paid.
4. At the birth of my niece my
6 year old brother was told that he
had become an uncle. When the
second one came, he looked puzzled

                  5.
and said, " What am I now; a grand-
father?"
5. In what way does a cat differ
from a sentence?"
(ans)- A sentence has a pause at
one end, but a cat has paws at
four ends.
6. Mother was giving her little
boy a lesson in manners. "Now
my dear if you meet a lady
you must take off your hat." "Gee
mom," asked the lad, "And what if
I meet some more ladies. Must
I take my coat off?'
7. In learning to write which
is more apt to dot the i's, a boy
or a girl?
(ans)- The girls, she a natural
daughter (dotter).
8. Mother: Did the macaroni
come yet?'
Young daughter: Yes mother I
sent them back- every one of the
stems were empty.
9. In running a race which
part of the body gets to the tape first?
(ans)- His heart always beats.

                   6.
10. Five year old Billy found a
turtle in the garden "Come quick,
mother.' "What is it?' asked mother.
"I don't know, he sticks his hands
in his pockets and swallows
his head."
11. A visitor asked little Eddie
how he liked school. "I like it
closed best," said Eddie.
12. In what way is a farmers
work like his wives?
(ans)- He sows and hoes, and she
sews the hose.
13. Why are some men like oak-
trees?
(ans)- They have ache-corns on
them.
14. An inquisitive neighbor
asked 5 year old Johnny, "They
must ask an awful for rent on
your house." "yes, ma'am, they
do, they asked four times for it
last week."
15. Which eats more, a hen
or a crow?
(ans)- A hen, she takes a peck at
a time.

                 7.
16. What is the eldest school
study?
(ans)- Grammar (grandma) of
course.
Now how is that Howard
are they all right?
Your house looks small in
that picture is it really as
small as it looks?
Maybe someday I will send
you a picture of the house I
live in. Is that alright?
Are all those other three
members still corresponding
with you?
I am getting so I can't
think of anything else for
news so I will have to close
and expect to get a nice fat
envelope from you in the near
future and if you want to send
me any more pictures, go to it
and I will be more than glad
to receive them.
 x                    From a faraway friend,
 xx                              Nellie Currier.
 xxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx all for you

Now that was a letter.
Lots of jokes. Did you have a favorite? They all had a different appeal for me.
I think it's kind of cute that she calls Thomas, Tomy. I wonder how long Thomas wrote to Hazel?
On the back of the envelope are these letters: D.F.T.S.M.Y.J.W.Y.F.T.W.Y.   I wonder what they stand for.

Here are the last few viewer cards of the Fun with Friends set:





I did my best to darken these pictures. They are all very faded.
The last one did not have names on the back. The people are hard to see in the second one. But if you look close enough you will see five different people. The ones in the last one are by the pillar in the middle.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

This is Grandpa. It could be a copy of the picture he had sent to Nellie. Grandpa was a very tall man so that tells you that is one big horse.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a very good holiday weekend. I hope mine is drama free.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment