Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Helen Balusik: Feb. 7, 1929 Phillips, Wis

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good. We hiked 11.62 miles on Sunday. It took us about 5 hours. It was a little longer then we thought it would be, but we survived. It was on the cool side at first but half way through the sun came out and warmed up a bit.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:






As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

               Phillips, Wis.
                 Feb. 6-29
Dear Howard:-
   Surely enjoyed your
letter so will take the
pleasure of answering
it this afternoon.
  it's only two o'clock
I did all My work this
morning even cooked
supper so I could have
time to write letters in
the afternoon.
  Tonite some of us kids
want to go practicing
singing so that we
will be able to chirp

like birds, someday-Ha Ha.
Today is a grand day
snowing a little but the snow
is also melting fast. How I
wish next week was spring
already. The winter has
certainly seemed long-
  Monday I was to a funeral
one of neighbors died just
suddenly- sure was a shock
to me. That's how death
comes so unexpectedly, some
times.
  So that day I left pa to
make dinner. He only made
enough meat and potatoes
for himself and when I
came home I had to make
my own- That's the way
the men are- Ha Ha. I
really shouldn't say this
because they aren't all like
that- are they?
Did you ask me whether
my brothers car was running
when it burned? Yes he

was coming from Prentice
with his boss and it caught
somehow at the bottom &
they were luck enough to get
out of it in time. What
kind have you a Ford Coupe
isn't that what you use to
have, at least I think you
wrote about it one time.
I often wish I had a
little car of my own. I
sure would make a good
time of it.

             2
One thing I'd surely do
go out to some lake
and go fishing- Maybe
I'd hit for Stone Lake
that's near Ogema
isn't it-
In the Spring some
time I'm coming up to
Gladys Martins school
then maybe I'll get to
see you walking around
some where in Ogema
would be a joke on you
alright if I'd start
talking to you and
you wouldn't know
who I was- Ha Ha.

Well anyway i don't think
I could fool you so easily
Maybe I would resemble
my picture a little- I hope
you have it burned up by
this time, at least I hope
so.
Some one was telling me
about you recently- We started
talking of you somehow and
this fellow told me he knew
you and said it wasn't true
that you didn't smoke &
drink- and that you
go to all those dances
around there. I don't know
whether he was against you
but I won't believe it until
I really know it. He also said
that you chewed snoose to bit
the band, besides smoking.
So Howard, who shall I
believe you of him. I hate to
mention his name because
that's how trouble begins,
but he told me not to
believe all that you tell

me.
I hope you do not get offended
at this but even tho I hear
things I don't believe them
especially not knowing you
very well.
  Well Howard, hope you
are fine and lets hear from
you again.
     Your friend
       Helen

 Well that was a nice letter. I wonder if she ever tells him who she was talking to about him.
As for the things she was told, he did drink. I don't know how much, but he did drink a little that I know of. As for the chew, not sure but it was a good possibility.
I wonder if they ever met up.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

The original Shrine of the Little Flower, the Rev. Charles E. Coughlin's church at Royal Oak, Mich., burned Tuesday morning with an estimated loss of $30,000. The dome of the new shrine, not yet completed can be seen in the background through the ruins. Faulty wiring was blamed for the fire.

I wonder what kind of religion it was. I do think the name sounds very unique.
Did they rebuild?

Here is a page from the joke book:

Enjoy.


And here is a random picture:

No idea who this is or what she is doing or when it was taken.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment