Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Bessie: Oct. 4, 1934; Westboro, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a very good weekend. Mine was uneventful. The weather was a little too warm for me but, what ya gonna do. So no hiking for us.
Anyway, here is a letter from someone named Bessie:


 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                   Westboro, Wis.
                   Oct 4, 1934
Dear Howard
  Thanks a lot for letting
us know about the house.
I am very sorry to have
caused you that bother
we found a place here
nearer camp to move into.
Eugene didn't want me
so far away from him
I guess. We are moving
to Pete Fausts house.
Please come down and
see us sometime and
we will do the same.
Your letter was missent
to to Medford and a didn't
get it until yesterday.
that's why I didn't answer

any sooner.
Thanks again for the
bother.
    Goodbye-
              Your friend
                 Bessie

It sounds like Grandpa must have been trying to help Bessie and Eugene  find a place to live. I do wonder what house he found for them.
I think that their names have been mentioned before by someone.

Here is a picture from The Minnesota Union Advocate, August 30, 1934:



 This is a scene on the Minneapolis strike front which immediately preceded the shooting of Henry Ness,
veteran striker, and the wounding of 50 others. Men who tried to carry the wounded from the scene were shot down by police.

Here is part of a head line from the same paper:

The top head line on this page is:

"MILITARY GETS SECRET LETTERS OF CITIZENS ALLIANCE"

Maybe sometime I'll find away to share the whole story that goes with this headline. It covers about 3/4 of the page.

Here is a story from "Fate" November 1950:

I guess my idea about being messed up kind of makes you an expert in understanding others that are just as messed up or worse.

Finally, a random picture:

Not sure what year this was taken but I do remember that being there when I was growing up.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment